LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaussian White Noise - User Controlled

I was wondering how I could modify the Gaussian White Noise.vi or create a new one that could output a Gaussian signal that could be controlled by varying its mean, std, variance, skewness, and kurtosis. I can change its std but I'm especially having problems trying to control its variance, skewness, and kurtosis.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,051 Views)
I've been working with that VI and I don't believe that it has the options you are looking for. You may have to built a custom VI to do this. If you take a look lower down the line of VIs, you will see that they call a DLL to obtain values. You may need to call this with the data dependencies that you want.
J.R. Allen
Message 2 of 3
(3,051 Views)
Well, you have to be careful with the terminology here: Once you add skewness and kurtosis, the distribution will no longer be "Gaussian", right? Basically, you want to generate random data, that, after infinite sampling forms a predetermined (non-uniform, non-normal) probablility distribution shape.

You probably could generate a inverse probablility function from your desired distribution, then feed it with the 0...1 uniform distribution.

As an example, I show the image of a VI that uses the Inv-normal function (found deep in the probability palette) to generate gaussian distributed random noise from a uniform noise distribution. I am sure you can adapt the same idea to generate data that conforms to your desired statistics.
Message 3 of 3
(3,051 Views)