From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS subVI?

Hi,

has anybody written a GPS SubVI which listens to a serial port and
returns lattitude and longitude? Or even better would be a driver for
the Gramin GPS III...

ru Ivo
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,780 Views)
I am looking for a similar .vi and will let you know how I go.

Ivo Knoll wrote in message
news:39618F93.30D4D5A4@gmx.net...
> Hi,
>
> has anybody written a GPS SubVI which listens to a serial port and
> returns lattitude and longitude? Or even better would be a driver for
> the Gramin GPS III...
>
> ru Ivo
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,779 Views)
Yes, I have written a GPS control program. However, I couldn't understand
what the problem
is exactly. In usual, there are some serial port commands given with the GPS
documentation.
The only thing to do is to write the related command to the port and to read
the answer.
You may need to parse the response because it may include some other
information like altitude.

ozan...

Ivo Knoll wrote in message
news:39618F93.30D4D5A4@gmx.net...
> Hi,
>
> has anybody written a GPS SubVI which listens to a serial port and
> returns lattitude and longitude? Or even better would be a driver for
> the Gramin GPS III...
>
> ru Ivo
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,779 Views)
I am also looking for exactly the same thing, could anyone please help????
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,779 Views)
I can't give you exactly what you've asked for but I will point you in some directions now in case you don't get it:

You may want to check with LabViewGuru, an enthusiast in this forum. He has mentioned in posts related to serial buffering that he has GPS experience.

The Garmin III appears to use a NEMA (National Marine Electronics Assoc.) 0183 Protocol. This is an ASCII text protocol that should be relatively simple to parse if you have information concerning the format of the text sentences returned. The definitive source for this information is the NMEA 0183 standard which is a copyrighted (sorry) document available for $250 from http://www.nmea.org/order.htm (There is also a high speed standard available at an additional cost.) This explains the data fields in the sentences received via the serial port interface.

There are some ways you may be able to get the pertinent info without buying a copy of the standard. You may download a LV5.0 VI at http://www.info-labview.org/the-archives/vi/lv5/garmin45.zip. It apparently does some NMEA parsing for the Garmin 45. It may work or partially work for the Garmin III. My LV 6.02 couldn't find a necessary VI to load it unbroken but you can see the parsing taking place. I didn't comprehend the logic at a cursory glance.

You may also be able to examine source code from other languages that are doing the same parsing at http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/idx_gps.html.

If you have to roll your own VI, you may find Dave Thomson's Serial Tools V1.6 (available @ http://www.originalcode.com/occdl.html )useful. See my previous post @ http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=101&RPAGEID=135&HOID=506500000008000000AC390000&UCATEGORY_0=_49_%24_6_&UCATEGORY_S=0&USEARCHCONTEXT_QUESTION_0=spaz&USEARCHCONTEXT_QUESTION_S=0 concerning the usefulness of these serial vi's.

Good Luck.

P.S. This seems to be a popular need. I wish that I had a NEMA 0183 receiver to write one. The Delorme Earthmate I am working with uses Rockwell binary. For those who are not locked into their GPS receiver choice yet, I would mention that Delorme has developed an ActiveX object (it's not free) to act as a mux between their serially interfaced Earthmate receiver(maybe others)and serve the data via a TCP connection. I have received the ActiveX object but not been able to use it because it apparently expects a password to be passed to it at the time a reference to it is opened in LabView (and there's no input for a password in LV's Automation Open Reference) but they're making changes for that.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,779 Views)
Hi,
Many (most) GPS units available have the NMEA 0183 protocol as an output to
allow them to interface with other marine electronic devices like autopilots,
mapping units, even fish finder sonar units. I have not looked at the
referenced "info-labview" vi recently, but if it shows the parsing it should be
applicable to most stand-alone units that have the nmea interface.

Good luck
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,779 Views)
Here is a zip file that contains the files needed to open this vi unbroken. I have imported the file into LabVIEW 6.1
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,779 Views)
Just in case someone is still looking for a GPS checksum calculation, here is my version. If it could be done w/o using a do-loop, I'd like to hear about it. You may have to modify it slightly to work with another GPS. I am using it with a Magellan G12.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,779 Views)
i dont understand this vi. what does all the fancy stuff actually do? esecially all the stuff at the bottom of the diagram page! please could someone let me know, as a really need a VI like this but not as complicated.cheers.jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,779 Views)
Hi everyone!

I am working with autonomous mobile robots and i want to use a GPS Garmin 17HSV to positioning and trajectory calculations for  an obstacle avoidance system.

Have you developed anything similar ? Or maybe,  who has a Vi for doing this already coded?

Thanks in advance.

Pedro.

Escrito por Ivo Knoll:
Hi,

has anybody written a GPS SubVI which listens to a serial port and
returns lattitude and longitude? Or even better would be a driver for
the Gramin GPS III...

ru Ivo

Pedro P. Escobar
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,185 Views)