From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB

If I'm using VISA do I need a specific driver for an external istrument??

On the same lines.  Does any one know why one instrument would work over the GPIB and not another??  I know this is sketchy but I'm getting it 3 hand.  They have a "AV Power" device PA4400A.  One reads the data and when they replace it with another they just get zeros.  Its been sent back to the manufact for cal and everything seems to be fine.  I'm told they can also query the "bad" device and get its ISDN info back.  Sorry for the lack of info.  To me it sounds like a triggering prob.  I've been away from GPIB for a while.  Couldn't understand why one would work and not another.

Thanks!

Clint

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,524 Views)

Hey Clint, you gotta ask yourself.... do you feel lucky?  Couldn't resist (Guess I could have said "Get Off my forum")  🙂

VISA -- no specific driver needed.

No idea why on the other one.  Could be a setting somewhere that enables/disables something, but I'm just guessing.  I have one instrument that you have to enable SCPI for. 

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

Message 2 of 13
(3,515 Views)

Clint:

Are the instruments running the same version of firmware (I don't know if it is applicable to yours)? Just a thought, I've have had odd issues sometimes where the same instruments act differently due to different firmware versions.

"This is LV 8.5, the most powerful IDE in the world...." 🙂

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,501 Views)

Still can't resist:

"Go ahead...make my VI"

That just gave me an idea.

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,497 Views)

For USA sales, support, service and deliveries:-

Powertek LLC
11 Glenwood Road
Rocky Point
NY 11778
USA

Tel: +1 631 744 0294  US Fax: +1 877 570 3441 or Int'l Fax: +1
973-273-5893
North America support and sales inquiries usainfo@powertekuk.com

I tried to find the users guide online and got bubkis.  So you are going to need to do some checking.

First- Verify that the two power meters have the same firmware.   I used to have some ovens that the mfgr kept upgrading.  I also used some decade resistance boxes that the mfgr changed the GPIB from a common 1960's type of message to a SCPI mlmf (e.g. S=1000 changed to :OUTput:RESistance 1000; )

Next check for odd operator interfaces.  The Yokogawa 7651 has a CAL switch on the back that disables operation and some equipments have Local/remote hard switches that require manual operation.

Then check for odd languages (or dual language support).  The Agilent 66xx supplies all have a Syst:Lang command and the two supported languages are not compatable so if the driver is written for SCPI and the unit is set to HPVSL (Hewwlit-Packard Voltage Source Language) the device errors.

Then try everything else and pull out your hair!  eventually you'll have learned something that you can use to answer a post on the forum

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,496 Views)

AK2DM,

re:Firmware.  That was one of the things I thought of too.  They tell me they are.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,483 Views)

re: Jeff ( hardly working) who "couldn't find any info"

I guess this company is out of England ( Manchester).  Our company ( for some reason) blocks the website.  I couldn't get any info ( or updated drivers) either.

Another thing.  I tried to look at their code from the Test Set on my machine ( I'm running LV8.5) they're running LV 5.0 !!!!!

Believe me, at 70 I don't have any hair left.  The movies and Sandra made me bald.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,479 Views)

A "Dirty_Harry.vi".......I like it!  What would it do???  Scan files and blow away infected ones??

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,475 Views)

Clint Eastwood wrote:

A "Dirty_Harry.vi".......I like it!  What would it do???  Scan files and blow away infected ones??

you would start by removing the  Abort button-  the vi would never stop!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,457 Views)

So did anyone find Firmware for this machine or not?

I am running LV 2010... Would appreciate it a lot!

Sincerely

//iZogaj

Idriz "Minnet" Zogaj, M.Sc. Engineering Physics
Memory Profesional
direct: +46 (0) - 734 32 00 10
http://www.zogaj.se
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,015 Views)