From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB reads/writes compared with VISA reads/writes

Hello all,

Being slightly new to LV (3 months of casual use, and 1 month of really getting to know it)...
I was just wonder what the difference between VISA reads/writes and GPIB reads/writes.

Actually this is my main question: Is the GPIB Write "data" parameter and the VISA Write "write buffer" parameter the exact same thing?
Would I write the exact same command with either parameter and get essentially the same effect (if all parameters are correct?).
I have a list of GPIB commands that I want to use to write drivers for  a PSA, and I really want to use VISA, and not have to change my paradigm of thinking.

I would hope they are quite similar.  In fact, my research is telling me that GPIB is almost like a subset of VISA?

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,330 Views)
The data you write with the GPIB functions is identical to the data you write with VISA. There are some things that are a bit easier to use the traditional GPIB calls but for 99+% of the time, VISA will do the trick. VISA was originally conceived as a common api for GPIB and VXI instruments. The first VXI instruments were basically the same GPIB instruments without a power supply and the user interface (buttons, screen, etc.) but they required different drivers. VISA permitted a single driver to be used for both types of instruments. Now, VISA has expanded to include serial, Ethernet, USB, and PXI and not having to change your "paradigm of thinking" is one of the big reasons that VISA is so widely used.
Message 2 of 3
(2,324 Views)
Thank you so much, Dennis!

You've not only confirmed my assumptions, but you've gotten me to appreciate LV and its quirks so much.  You really can do so much with minimal effort using LV.  I traditionally am an EECS (Electrical Engineer, and Computer Science) major, and have somewhat disliked the Computer Science part of it.  LV is so easy to learn, and is so flexible, it makes learning about the language interesting, and (I'm almost shocked to hear myself say) "fun."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,318 Views)