From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB operations not working in Win 7 always

I developed a vi having GPIB operations (read, write, etc.,). it is working good in Win XP OS without issues. Now I am using the same vi in the Win 7 PC, which is having issues. Its not opening properly (freezing always). I installed all the latest drivers. Please help me in this topic.

Regards,

VGS

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,465 Views)

Hi,

Can you post some code to see what is going on.  Is the VI freezing when opened, or are the gpib commands freezing, so to speak?   SOme more detail would be helpful.

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,453 Views)

Hi VGS,

Have you tried using MAX to talk to the GPIB instrument?

Check out this video

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 8
(2,444 Views)

Please find the sub VIs are attached. In the Main VI, first VBATPowerSupplyConfig.vi is called and then VBATPowerSupplyControl.vi. VI is getting freezed when opening. GPIB power supply is able to talk through the MAX.

Regards

VGS

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,433 Views)

VGS,

Your vis are in LabVIEW 7.1. Are you aware that 7.1 is not supported with Windows 7?

Are you running your vis in development mode or do you have an executable?

steve

Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,413 Views)

Its an executable file. Am able to run sometimes without issues in some PCs.

Regards,

VGS

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,402 Views)

VGS,

Have you tried XPMode?

Available (free) in Win7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate versions, XPMode allows you to emulate an XP machine.

I don't know if this will work with your GPIB interface hardware.

steve

XPMode Link

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,389 Views)

Your issue is not likely to be with LabVIEW, but rather with NI-VISA. The version of VISA that you have installed for LabVIEW 7 is simply not compatible with Windows 7. Face reality. You need to upgrade LabVIEW or you need to downgrade Windows to an earlier version. XP compatibility mode will be worse in terms of getting it to work since you need to be able to get NI-VISA to talk to the hardware, and you don't want an emulation layer to be sitting between your software and the hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,378 Views)