cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB connection problem-NI-488: Error connecting to driver or device

Solved!
Go to solution

hello,

i am trying to connect with my "Santec" tunable laser by GPIB-USB-HS. I got the Labview VI (instrument driver) file for my tunable laser model TSL-210 from http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=2791 . When i run any VI file, for example the "laser_on_off.vi" i got the error message "NI-488:  Error connecting to driver or device". i checked the "measurement and automation explorer" and NI-488.2 communicator gives me the following message when i send "Query for "Send String *IDN?"

----------------

iberr = ENOL
ENOL indicates that no instrument was detected at the specified address.  Verify that your instrument is powered on and properly connected to your GPIB interface.

iberr = ENOL
ENOL indicates that no instrument was detected at the specified address.  Verify that your instrument is powered on and properly connected to your GPIB interface. 

--------------

By NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Utility, i run the selected test for GPIB-USB-HS, and the result is fail.

i checked my driver manager and it shows that the GPIB-USB-HS "device is  working properly"

What i did wrong? Could you please advice me.

thanks in advance.

regards

REza

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(8,633 Views)

Do you have the GPIB adress of your laser set to match what you have set up in your vi's?

Bad GPIB cable?

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(8,612 Views)

thanks for reply. How can i set up GPIB address which i got from my laser in my vi's?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(8,608 Views)

Can you post your code?

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(8,592 Views)

the GPID code from the tunable laser is A07 CALF

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(8,584 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author UT enschede

That is meaningless.

You need to step way back. The installation instructions for the USB-GPIB-HS tells you to run the diagnostics first. You eventually did this and got a failure. That is why you are getting "NI-488:  Error connecting to driver or device". Until the diagnostics pass, you are simply wasting your time with anything else. Please provide the details on the failure when running the diagnostic.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(8,577 Views)

Hello, here is the code i get 

Communicate with instrument

GPIB1 Instrument 0     Primary Address 7

Send String: *IDN?
"Query"
-----------------
iberr = ENOL

iberr = ENOL

---------------

Globals

ibsta:0X8100

ibsta:ENOL

ibsta:0x1

ERR

CMPL

---------------------------------------

"Write"

Globals

ibsta:0X100

iberr:None

ibcntl:5

"Status"

CMPL

---------------------------------------

"Read"

String Received:

NR

Globals

ibsta:0X2100

iberr:None

ibcntl:4

END

CMPL

thanks in advanced

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(8,571 Views)

At this point, I simply do not know what you are doing. You marked the thread as solved. You did not respond to my question about your comment about the diagnostics failing. Are they now passing or are you ignoring the failure? Did you perform the next step in the installation instructions which is a scan for instruments?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(8,549 Views)

hello, 

i am sorry for pressed the wrong button. Are you asking for some other error code than the one i gave on the above? may be i misunderstood. the GPIB-USB-HS didn't pass the "RUN selected test". The scan for instruments shows that "the device did not respond to a *IDN? query". Please suggest.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(8,540 Views)

What I was asking for is the details of the diagnostic test that you say fails. If the diagnostic fails, it's pointless to try to communicate to the instrument. Not responding to an IDN query may be harmless. Do you know for a fact that the instrument even supports IDN. It would be listed in your manual.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(8,523 Views)