From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB PROBLEM

How is this thing hooked up?  Is it hooked up directly to your computer?  Is it hooked up to the network?  Your scope wants to be assigned an IP address, but there are no DHCP servers willing to oblige.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 31 of 66
(988 Views)

it being connected from the ethernet port of the scope directly to my ethernet's port of my pc. 

Am i doing the right thing or need any equipment to support it?

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 66
(986 Views)

@nizam2 wrote:

it being connected from the ethernet port of the scope directly to my ethernet's port of my pc. 

Am i doing the right thing or need any equipment to support it?

I advise you to google tcp/ip basics.  You can't just go hooking stuff up to your ethernet port all willy-nilly.

Well, I still recommend looking it up, but I didn't realize you asked a specific question.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Message 33 of 66
(974 Views)

You will need a DHCP server.  You can run it off your company's network, but probably you will want your own little private network.  If you can find a router, you can use that.  Sorry about the last reply.

Well, that's the easiest, but not the only solution.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 34 of 66
(968 Views)

DHCP server? 

You means i have to connect the scope to the internet first? then after getting the ip address connect it with my pc?

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 66
(959 Views)

@nizam2 wrote:

DHCP server? 

You means i have to connect the scope to the internet first? then after getting the ip address connect it with my pc?

At this point, I would ask your IT department to set you up with a router and then hook your equipment up to it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 36 of 66
(957 Views)

You have a steep learning curve ahead of you.  You can complete this project, but it will take some time.  Learn all you can about the various ways of communicaction with test equipment - serial, GPIB, ethernet.  Learn how the Oscope communicates with the computer by reading the Oscope manual.  This will help you choose which drivers and which method of communications you want to use.  Then we can start talking about LabVIEW integration.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 37 of 66
(947 Views)

Sorry if i'm ask again

my technian apparently never seen any connection being made from oscope to the pc. 

they usually experienced save any data to the pendrive and transfer it to the pc.

can i ask you a favour? teach me step by step about the DHCP server?

your kindness is highly appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 66
(938 Views)

@nizam2 wrote:

Sorry if i'm ask again

my technian apparently never seen any connection being made from oscope to the pc. 

they usually experienced save any data to the pendrive and transfer it to the pc.

can i ask you a favour? teach me step by step about the DHCP server?

your kindness is highly appreciated

That's waaaay beyond the scope of this forum.  Please google the subject matter.  This is something you will have to accomplish yourself.  Besides, it's only background for what you really need to accomplish, which is getting your stuff to talk to each other.  Get a router, configure it for DHCP support and hook your stuff up to it.  We can go from there.

To give you an idea of what we're up against here, it's like trying to teach you how to correct for an oversteer while driving, but you're not sure what the steering wheel is for yet.

I don't want to discourage you, but it's not magic.  Communicating with an instrument is the culmination of a lot of knowledge, a lot of which you don't have yet.  You will have to do due dilligence before we can help you in any meaningful way.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 39 of 66
(929 Views)

Thanks Bill for the advice, i will try to equip myself about that matter.

If i stuck can i ask again?

thanks 😄

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 66
(920 Views)