LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GOOP

Hi,

I want to get started with GOOP. I also have the AN143 + toolkit from Endevo. But I need to have some more explantions to work with GOOP. Does anyone has some more information + examples of GOOP? Maybe a book. And wher can I download the latest version of the GOOP-toolkit?

Regards

Davy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,371 Views)
Hi Davy,

It is nice to see that you have discovered the world of object-orientation. I don't know how familiar you are with object-orientation, but if you are not, I suggest you start with a book describing object-orientation in general. GOOP is just a LabVIEW implementation of object-orientation and will be a little bit hard to learn if you don't have the basic object-oriented knowledge.

However, GOOP consists of two major parts , a GOOP kernel and a class template which will be part of your code, and the other part is a tool, GOOP Wizard, that is used for creating and editing GOOP classes.

Just recently Endevo has launched a new GOOP implementation, GOOP2, (kernel and templates) which also support inheritance, and together with the GOOP Wizard 3 i
t is sold as GOOP Inheritance Toolkit. The new Wizard 3 includes advanced editing functionallity, automatic icon generation and debug features. Endevo also sells the GOOP Wizard 2.1 which uses the "old" kernel and templates, but have much more advanced editing functionallity and automatic icon handling.

The GOOP that could be downloaded from NI consists of "old" kernel and template GOOP 1.0 (no inheritance) and the very simple GOOP Wizard 1.0, which is only a class generator with no support for editing classes.

On the Endevo site: http://www.endevo.se/default.asp?lang=eng (click on 'Products'). You will find downloads, white papers, presentation and demos. These will describe the new GOOP Inheritance Toolkit, but most of the examples are valid for the old GOOP 1 as well.

There also exists a GOOP cource, LabVIEW System Design with GOOP, and has this year started in the U.S. (visit http://www.viengineering.com) and since many years in Sweden in Europe. Plans are to hold courses
all over Europe, starting in 2004.

Best regards,
Mattias Ericsson
Main developer of the GOOP2, GOOP Wizard 2 and 3.
Course instructor for the LabVIEW System Design with GOOP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,368 Views)
Hi Mattias,

Thanks for the fast answer. I am familiar with OO-programming in C++ and Java. But I just want some maybe some books with simple example programs to start with. So i can get into it.

Regards

Davy
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,368 Views)
Hi Davy,

If you have knowledge and experience from OO and C++ there will be no problems getting started with GOOP.

There are some GOOP examples available based on the "old" GOOP1:
http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=101&RPAGEID=135&HOID=506500000008000000DE400000&UCATEGORY_0=_49_%24_6_&UCATEGORY_S=0&USEARCHCONTEXT_QUESTION_0=climate+controller&USEARCHCONTEXT_QUESTION_S=0

However, if you download the GOOP Inheritance Toolkit White Paper from the Endevo site, there are examples how the OO works in GOOP. The new GOOP2 works the same way by dealing with classes, objects and attributes concept. This could be applied with the "old" GOOP as well. I think this paper could be a good start for you. The example in the white
paper is also available for download at the Endevo site, but mostly deal with inheritance.

Unfortunatly there exists no book about GOOP except the LabVIEW System Design with GOOP course material, but that is not available unless you take the course. However, GOOP2 gives LabVIEW full OO support so you could easily apply all software engineering books about OO design, UML and design patterns.

If you have worked with C++ and feel confortable with OO, you should definetly take a look at all the new features that GOOP2 offers like inheritance, virtual methods and class attributes (compare with statics in C++).

Best regards,
Mattias
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,368 Views)
Hi, I have a problem finding the instances in a program. When I right click on the symbol(top right) of the VI and click on 'Show all Instances' only the instances which are on the VI's that are open are shown but the others are not shown.
Thank you, greetings, Bogey
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,915 Views)
Hello Bogey,

Which version of LabVIEW are you using? 

In the future, creating a new forum thread for new questions will likely result in quicker responses from forum users.  Cheers!

-Bob
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,880 Views)
Hi Davy,

Another GOOP development option is the GOOP Developer by SciWare. It can be found at http://www.sciware.com.au/ .

They have a free academic version if you happen to fit that criteria. They also have a manual (PDF) available for download with examples.

Cheers,

--Russ
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,872 Views)

Hi Bob,

I'm using version 8.2. Thanks for the tipp. Cheers, Bogey

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,865 Views)
Hello Bogey,

This is expected behavior as the VIs that are open are loaded into memory and the VIs that are closed are not.  If you perform a search from the top-level VI using Edit>Find and Replace, you should find all instances of the VI within the subVIs.  Cheers!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,842 Views)

Hi,

Do you know where I can download GOOP2 toolkit for LabVIEW 7.1 ?

Jean-Louis SCHRICKE
CTA - Certified TestStand Architect (2008 - 2022)
CTD - Certified TestStand Developer (2004 & 2007)
CLD - Certified LabVIEW Developer (2003 & 2005)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,128 Views)