From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Panel changes size when I change the windows font size

There you go . . .  Windows is misleading.  It just says change the font.  Not enlarge everything in by 25%. 

I do not mind the icons being small I just can read the text on my 14" laptop with 2500 x 1440 resolution (it is close to those numbers) unless I make them 150%

Let me experiment around on my Windows 10 box.  At least one thing they fixed is you do not have to log on and off when you change "font" size.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(1,000 Views)

@Tom_Powers wrote:

There you go . . .  Windows is misleading.  It just says change the font.  Not enlarge everything in by 25%. 

I do not mind the icons being small I just can read the text on my 14" laptop with 2500 x 1440 resolution (it is close to those numbers) unless I make them 150%

Let me experiment around on my Windows 10 box.  At least one thing they fixed is you do not have to log on and off when you change "font" size.

You're right about misleading.  I was thinking it only affected fonts until I went and tried it out.  And it was annoying that I had to log out to make the setting change take effect.

If you have a 14" laptop, then it is crazy to try to make a 2500 x1440 resolution.  And if two computers both have the 1600 x 1080 resolutions (which seem to be to the low end) then it is crazy for one for one of them to enlarge the fonts.

In the end, what I've learned is you need to set the your window size and layout of the front panel to work on the lowest resolution display you expect your code to run on and use consistent fonts that don't vary in size based on using the Windows font settings.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(997 Views)

Is there an official solution for this issue? It's really annoying when you need to run an application on a laptop which has a 125% or 150% font size. The larger font size makes reading easier and usually this is the default settings for users. But the LabVIEW application looks pretty bad with overlapped controls or cutoff borders.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(966 Views)

@gangxu wrote:

Is there an official solution for this issue? It's really annoying when you need to run an application on a laptop which has a 125% or 150% font size. The larger font size makes reading easier and usually this is the default settings for users. But the LabVIEW application looks pretty bad with overlapped controls or cutoff borders.

I don't know what makes a solution official... but the solution is to not tell Windows to make things larger.  You either like it or you don't.  If you don't, turn it off.  If you do, leave it on. 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(958 Views)

That is not a solution.  That is a work around.  and a crummy one at that as makes it such that when I use my laptop with my "standard" acquisition or data processing routines, I can barely read the file names in windows.

LabView needs a property that turns off windows scaling.  One can debate if the property is on  a machine-by-machine or vi-by-vi basis.  As someone who ports things around a lot I would like to have it a property of the vi.  When I size a vi front panel I would like to do it based on a number of pixels.

Oh and while you are at it a zoom in/out would be nice for folks that use high resolution monitors on smallish screens.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(944 Views)

I'm not sure how you view it as a workaround.  There's a setting in the OS that increases the size of things.  If you turn it on, things increase.  Your complaint is that things have increased.  That's about as close to "working as intended" as you'll get. 

The thing you suggest is needed (Idea Exchange, for what it's worth) is for a program to override the OS. 

You might want to check out NXG.  It's been out since May. 

Message 16 of 19
(940 Views)

Thank you guys for the input.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(928 Views)

I believe that the OP is right in complaining, meaning that this is an issue that LabVIEW should be able to address. I also believe that unfortunately in the LabVIEW forums there is a tendency to blame the OP or to shift the problem to other programs, in this case Windows.

LabVIEW manages the Windows OS zoom very poorly. This is not only at runtime, but also the interface itself of LabVIEW suffers from using different OS zoom levels. I had reported this issue here and was quickly shot down.

But it does not have to be like that. I am using Google Chrome as an example. Chrome initially ignored the OS zoom level, so things would appear as if the computer was set to 100% zoom no matter what. The browser was then suddenly made to be aware of the OS zoom level. This caused a bit of an outcry, as users that had their WIndows zoom set to 125% (which is the default setting in Windows 7) suddenly were seeing everything larger. These was however a quick workaround, by adding this option: --high-dpi-support=1 --force-device-scale-factor=1. This made the program ignore once again the Windows setting.

For a program like LabVIEW the lack of such an option is a big problem. When I develop an application I do not know which zoom factor the final user will have. If the user buys a new monitor and uses a different zoom factor, the application appearance will change, rather unpredictably so, and there is nothing that a developer can do. This is not a good way of doing things. In my opinion I should be able to tell the user either a) make sure your windows zoom level is set to 100%, or b) activate this option to ignore the window setting and display it as 100%. Ideally there should be option c), which scales everything proportionally with the OS zoom level: this is ambitious but I have not seen many programs that deal with the OS zoom level as poorly as LabVIEW.

In summary, the OP has posted about a very real problem and right now LabVIEW is not able to deal with that problem satisfactorily.

Message 18 of 19
(857 Views)

Hi Tom_Powers,

I am also facing a similar issue in a LabVIEW built EXE. Were you facing the issue in Windows 7? That is if you change the font setting from 100% to 125% in Windows 7, does the EXE doesn't fit the screen.

In my case, it looks like this issue happens in Windows 10 and not in Windows 7. I have a resolution of 1366x768 in both the Windows 7 and Windows 10, but in windows 7, if I change the magnification ratio from 100 to 125%, the exe still fits the screen. But in case of Windows 10, it is not fitting the screen when I change from 100% to 125%.

Were you able to find any fix?

Thanks,

Sree Ranjani

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(819 Views)