LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing of task manager when an exe file freezes

How to deal with a frozen exe file?

Once it freezes, the task manager also does and they do not recover. The only thing I could do was the forced termination of computer.

Can I avoid this situation by modifying the vi? Is there any code for recovering from freezing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(1,786 Views)

What does the EXE do?

Is it pure LabVIEW or does it call third party drivers or dlls?

What's the LabVIEW version?

What is your OS?

Does it freeze randomly or predictably?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(1,777 Views)

Super F4 can kill the hang application with Ctrl+Alt+F4.

It's free, open source, on GitHub.

Maybe worth to give a shot.

George Zou
Message 3 of 14
(1,773 Views)

Dear altenbach,

Thank you for your response.

The EXE simulates the control system of pump. Because it is now under development, it has not been connected with pump or flowmeter yet. Now it generates random numbers (flow rate), conduct PID control and determines the pump output. Everything completes in the computer. It just changes the color of the display and indicates the flow rate-like random numbers.

It is pure LabVIEW 2017 SP1 (32bit).

My OS is Windows 10.

Unfortunately I have not found the condition where freezing occurs.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(1,770 Views)

Dear zou,

Thank you for telling me the software. It must be helpful if I cannot find the solution.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(1,768 Views)

@K.Hata wrote:

Dear altenbach,

Thank you for your response.

The EXE simulates the control system of pump. Because it is now under development, it has not been connected with pump or flowmeter yet. Now it generates random numbers (flow rate), conduct PID control and determines the pump output. Everything completes in the computer. It just changes the color of the display and indicates the flow rate-like random numbers.

It is pure LabVIEW 2017 SP1 (32bit).

My OS is Windows 10.

Unfortunately I have not found the condition where freezing occurs.

Unfortunately we haven't, either.  The chances are slim to none that we can help you because we still hardly know anything about the executable.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(1,727 Views)

Dear billko

Thank you for your reply.

My question is why the task manager freezes when the executable freezes, NOT why my executable freezes.

A frozen software can be terminated with the task manager, whereas my executable is stronger than the task manager. I wonder why they can be terminated. Is there any specific code needed for terminating it with task manager?

In other words, can an executable produced with LabVIEW be terminated with the task manager? Or, is special attention necessary for achieving this?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(1,716 Views)

But you already said that you think your exe freezing is the cause of the task manager freezing.

Generally, task manager doesn't freeze.

Therefore, we need to see your code to maybe see some reason why it would freeze and thus cause task manager to freeze.!!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(1,709 Views)

Dear RavensFan

Thank you for your explanation.

So I will decompose the code and clarify which part causes the task manager freezing with my computer.

The sentence "Generally, task manager doesn't freeze." has encouraged me.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(1,705 Views)

@K.Hata wrote:

My question is why the task manager freezes when the executable freezes, NOT why my executable freezes.

Correlation is not causation. So far we don't even know what freezes first. It could even be that a third actor causes both to freeze.

How long does your executable typically run before the freeze occurs? How is the CPU use (low or high?) and the memory use (high, low, constant, increasing, etc.)

Do you run any unusual antivirus or security software? Is your hardware good? Is there anything interesting in the windows logs?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(1,688 Views)