From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancing in SF Bay Area rates

Hi all, I would like to start freelancing in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I am not sure how much to charge... Hopefully I can get some suggestions from the community.

I have been using LabVIEW for about 5 years now, with experience in IMAQ, DIO, AIO, GUI, datasocket, RS232, GPIB.. In addition, I also have experience working with C++, VB, C#, and know a little SQL. 

I only have the time to do this part time, but I just want a little padding on top of my normal salary 🙂

How do you guys do this?  How do you set rates?  Do you ever work for a flat rate for the whole project?  All these details seem kind of complicated for me.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,497 Views)
Maybe try contacting your local NI sales rep he might have some advice for you. 
Brian
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,447 Views)

We might be interested in talking with you. 415-324-5855

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,402 Views)
I would like to start freelancing in the San Francisco Bay Area,

First of all, frelancing in the "Bay Area" is a bit limiting. My work is all over he country.

If you have a CPU, a licensed copy of LV, and a net connection, then you can just as easily work for someone in New Jersey as in the Bay area.

but I am not sure how much to charge

Pick a number and hang it out there. If nobody calls you, charge less. If people are banging down your door, charge more. ;->

How do you guys do this? How do you set rates?

See above.

Do you ever work for a flat rate for the whole project?

If you mean a flat FEE, then yes, sometimes. If the client can really nail down the specs to where I have a good idea how to do it ahead of time, then I quote "X hours, not to exceed Y hours". I expect it to take X, but even if it takes Y+100, I'll bill you only for Y hours.

If the project is more nebulous, and ill-defined, then you work by the hour. Don't let the customer change requirements without payment.

I might have need of a freelancer, if you're efficent, amd thorough, and scientifically minded. Contact me via the Culverson.com contact page, if you're interested.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

Message 4 of 7
(3,386 Views)

Hey CoastalMaineBird,

Are things picking up for you?  If you have some work overflow, let me know. 

RayR

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,378 Views)
Is it difficult to get clients?  I often wonder how consultants get enough clients to keep them busy.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,331 Views)
Yes, it can be hard to get clients. I did LabVIEW consulting for close to 10 years and there were periods that I did next to nothing. It helps to have a broad skill set and as CoastMaineBird said, willing and able to work outside your area. You're less likely to fall victim to bad economic problems that are localized. On the other hand, you can do great if you are one of the top experts in a particular field. This almost forces you to work nation or world wide though.

If you plan to do consulting full time, you must plan for those idle periods. Don't simply compare consultant rates with what you are earning now. There is no guarantee that you will be working 40 hours a week. Plus, you'll no longer have a 'paid' vacation or medical insurance. Scheduling is also a problem. Say you have a 4 week contract. When do you start selling yourself for a new one? When the first is complete or while it is still running? Can you take time out from the current project to get on the phone and do thorough proposals? What happens if in the middle of the project, a new customer comes to you and says he has a job but you have to start immediately? If you have to turn him down, do it very nicely and hope he keeps you in mind for the next time.

Getting the first contract can be the hardest. You'll need to become very good friends with the local NI Sales Engineer. Prove to him or her that you know what you are doing. The sales engineer knows all of the local LabvIEW uers and is often to know of a possible contract. Attend local LabVIEW user groups and give presentations. The time to build contacts in the area and industry is while you still have a full-time job. After the first job, you'll have a reference hopefully, and the going will be a bit easier.

Good luck to you.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,317 Views)