From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flow Meter Amplified Square Wave Measurement using NI 9361

Solved!
Go to solution

I am purchasing a flow meter that outputs a 12 VDC amplified square wave in order to measure the flow of a fluid. I will be using a NI 9361 module to measure this signal. I want to confirm that this is the correct module to use for this type of signal output. Furthermore, could I use this module to measure other waveforms such as a flow meter with a sinusoidal wave output?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,542 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MShinn1

Hi MShinn,

@MShinn1 wrote:

I am purchasing a flow meter that outputs a 12 VDC amplified square wave in order to measure the flow of a fluid. I will be using a NI 9361 module to measure this signal. I want to confirm that this is the correct module to use for this type of signal output.

Yes, the NI9361 is able to read pulses with upto 24V in differential mode as written in the manual.

@MShinn1 wrote:

Furthermore, could I use this module to measure other waveforms such as a flow meter with a sinusoidal wave output?

The NI9361 expects "digital inputs" (like square waveforms) as written in the manual. A sinusoidal waveform is not digital…

But you can always use your own signal converter (aka comparator circuit) to convert that sinusoidal signal into a digital one. I do that for most of my counter tasks to improve the signal integrity (aka SNR) and to prevent wrong behaviour of counter tasks…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 2
(2,468 Views)