LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing corrupt VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Classic noob case of not doing autobackups for some small project. Usually I work straight from Dropbox, but the last two weeks I was on a new machine and just didn't make obviously (now) small effort to set it up. Anyway, I've seen a few posts from last year where a couple of individuals magically fixed the header/footer of the VI in a hex editor. I've tried browsing it, and doing random stuff (replacing first few bits from a new file, etc.). I'm just hoping for a bit of that same magic before starting the rebuild.

Specifically loading the VI gives: 

"LabVIEW: File is not a resource file. The file 'ManualControl.vi' could not be loaded."

Developed in Labview 2011 64-bit. I'm with a university, but I don't think there is free support from NI available anymore for us academics. Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(6,050 Views)

I was in similar situation few days ago, almost lost my 3 months worth of work. Only thing that saved me was my laptop that was closed at home and did not synch up to the currupted version yet. Had to go home, disable wifi and retrieve the earlier version. I would also like to know if there is a way to retrieve these vi. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are (always) welcome for the good post. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(6,031 Views)

If you're using Dropbox you can go back to old editions of a file. See https://www.dropbox.com/help/11/en. I don't know how this service is free 🙂

Message 3 of 17
(6,027 Views)

Source control, source control, source control.. Subversion is free and very easy to use.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 4 of 17
(6,023 Views)

Unfortunately, as this link shows, there is no official way to recover a corrupted VI. As other users have mentioned, we recommend backing up your VIs frequently so if a problem like this occurs you don’t lose all of your work. Sorry we can’t help you out.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(5,983 Views)

Yeah, well it's pretty annoying.  I was working on a small utility, hadn't saved it since opening it today, and both the source file and the autosave is corrupt.  That may be unfortunate, but it is also UNRELIABLE. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(5,932 Views)

@Spaz wrote:

Yeah, well it's pretty annoying.  I was working on a small utility, hadn't saved it since opening it today, and both the source file and the autosave is corrupt.  That may be unfortunate, but it is also UNRELIABLE. 

I've had it where autosave corrupted the VI and had to go back to the original file, erasing a few hours of work.  In that case, version control would not have helped because I am not in the habit of commiting my changes every few minutes.  (What i sweird is that I save often, and it made me go back to the original that was a few saves ago.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(5,925 Views)

Early Christmas present.

Edit:  Just saw that the commenter was not the OP.  Oh well, very late Christmas present.

Message 8 of 17
(5,917 Views)

The newest version that I have is 2010.  I still use 7.1 the most. (RE: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Why-I-prefer-using-LV-7-1-Sort-of-like-why-I-keep-using-XP/m-p/11124...)

Althiough I got around my problem,  I would be very interested in seeing any other approaches if that's the subject of your VI.  Seems small... a screen shot of the BD would suffice.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(5,880 Views)

I just posted a fixed version of the original VI, without checking the date of course.  I have a little utility which tries a few things to fix or otherwise retrieve data from corrupted VIs and LLBs and this one happened to have fixable damage.

Too bad I was asleep at the switch when the original post happened.

Edit:  Just got the solution and Kudos from the OP.  Excellent.  I like it when my spelunking into the depths of LV has beneficial side effects.  Better late than never it seems.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(5,869 Views)