LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding errors in a broken project with many VIs

My question is a general one.

I have a project hierarchy with many VIs and several classes. A few things (probably many actually) are broken in this project.

If I had a single VI, I would just press "Run", and the error list would show me all that is wrong and I could correct the errors one by one.
However, in my case, I only get a list with one item per VI, where the only errors listed are:

Owning library has blocked execution of the VI

and

SubVI is not executable

How can I find where the errors are ? Obviously, there is an error somewhere, which blocks the whole library (reasonably enough), which in turns prevents all the individual VIs from running separately (this is a more questionable design choice !!!).

How can I pinpoint the errors in this project without having to inspect visually every single VI for potential issues ?

Message 1 of 7
(2,789 Views)

Hi Calvintiger,

You probably will be able to find your errors by using the execution highlight.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,785 Views)

Well, the issue is precisely that nothing executes.. how could I possibly use execution highlight ?
(besides, isn't execution highlight enabled separately in each VI ?).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,783 Views)

If you double click the "sub vi is not executable" in the error list it should mark and flash which sub-vi it is, and you can open and look through that one.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,764 Views)

Click the Broken Run arrow and double click the error then you will be able to navigate through the error until you get the final one. There is no point in talking about Highlight execution when you have a broken arrow.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,758 Views)

The OP already knows about clicking the Run arrow to see the errors. The issue is that the OP has several VIs in a library, with more than one broken, and the question is how do you find out about all the errors? You can extend this to multiple libraries inside a project.

There is no built-in mechanism to automatically show all errors in VIs across a project. You can do it for a library by right-clicking on the library and selecting "Show Error Window". However, for this to actually work, all of the lbrary VIs have to be open. Not all that useful if you ask me.

The only way I can think of doing it is to actually write a VI that iterates through all the files in the project and gets the state of the VI using the VI Server to indicate if the VI is broken.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,750 Views)

I'm going to guess LVOOP and maybe LV 8.6 or threabouts.

IN the more recent version the error messages are better and can help you find the culprit.

Regardless...

I'd open the top level VI shut-off warning mesages and then look at the very first error message and chase it down or the bottom most (the order of errors have changed).

In older version of LVOOP the children could break the parent. In more modern I don't think that is the case. Look at your Class hiearchy, and figure out what parts are broken and work from there.

I've been there and it ain't easy sometimes.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 7 of 7
(2,746 Views)