LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding Height with Multiple Microphones

Hi everyone;

I am working on a project and I need to find height of sound source ( type of centimeter ) with 3 vertical microphones.I use median theorem in triangles but I couldn't get correct result. Which theorem can I try? Thanks for your helping.

Onur

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,633 Views)

You are obviously trying to build an acoustic camera.

This is a very challenging task as sound has a behavior of its own... also note that reflections are a big issue for systems with only little amounts of microphones.

All in all, it might be cheaper to buy a ready-to-go acoustic camera than to build one on your own.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,619 Views)

I am student and it is my graduation project.So I have to build that but I couldnt find mathematical model.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,613 Views)

Try google 😉

That thing was already topic of a master thesis or graduation project. You might want to synchronize with those guys to build upon their results. As it seems that you want to use LV (instead of MatLab), you still have a bunch of work before you.

Please note that the technology of placing the microphones correctly is often intellectual property of the developer and is not shared for free. This gives a basic insight.

NI has done something like this in the past together with a customer (NI did "only" the proof of concept of microphone synchronization!).

As a final note: I doubt that three microphones are enough to get a good accuracy for locating sound sources....

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,606 Views)