From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find all VI's USED in a folder - AKA "Find/Replace in Files..."

Hello,

LabVIEW can search if a VI is used if that VI is already loaded into memory (i.e., it's open somewhere), but what about searching an entire directory on disk to determine if a VI is used in any files within that location? I'm looking for functionality in LabVIEW that is similar to the "Find/Replace in Files..." capability that is found in TestStand. In TestStand, that allows me to search for something within other TestStand files in an entire directory (not just the ones that are open). LabVIEW does have "Tools -> Find VI's on Disk...", but that doesn't actually look into the files; it only searches filenames.

Is there a way to do this with LabVIEW?

Purpose: We have a code repository that holds all of our files (TestStand, LabVIEW, etc). Many of these files are inherently linked together because they are used within each other - A TestStand sequence calls LabVIEW VI's, or a LabVIEW VI has other sub-VI calls, etc. We have a large set of modular sequences and VI's that are used in many different projects. This folder has a large number of files. We are in process of cleaning up this folder to insure any old or duplicated files that are not needed are pruned. For the sequence files, TestStand has the "Find/Replace in Files..." functionality that lets us search an entire directory of files for any reference to a search parameter. This means we can easily find out if a sequence file is being called by another sequence or if a VI is used in any of the sequences.

This is also very helpful when trying to determine the scope of impact from making a change to a VI - what else am I going to affect/break if I make that change? With TestStand this is pretty easy to find out. With LabVIEW it seems I am mostly in the dark.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,970 Views)

Try Traverse for GObjects

Something like the attached should do it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,939 Views)