LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter for an 2D array of data, to obtained and defined range of data

Solved!
Go to solution

I am generating data from a ultrasonic sensor at 1K Hz, and its a lot of data (data points range from 0-10). However, in some cases when I know data should be around 7 (for example) I get outliers (about 9 and around 10). Is there a way to set a filter to obtain data in defined range.

I will be average the data obtained to get a mean value, and the outliers are spoiling it. In worst case, my outliers are 30-40% of the data generated. I created a filter to sort the data and taking data starting from lowest value. I stop the loop when data hits a higher value then 9. But this seems to take a lot of time (since the loop checks for each data point and there are 1000s of them).

Is there a better way to filter this data and set a pre-defined range for array to be collected?

I am attaching my filter.vi.. and a sample data set from my previous run. The data ranges from 10 -8, and would like to have range set to 7.5 to 8.5 to be considered. The sensor is recording voltage here, and the problem can be solved in installing a different type of sensor, but a if a filter in LabView can due it, the sensor we are using now is absolute great.

I am in kind of emergency, my design in stalled due to this problem, if anyone can find sometime to share few suggestions, I will be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,682 Views)

I did something years ago based on validating every value based on the slope.

1) Take derivative

2) Do statitsics to find standard deviation

3) Compare all samples and their slope and if in 2 standard deviations, keep if not toss (or do a linear fit between previous a following).

A the time it was real CPU killer but new mahcine should be better prepared to pull that plow.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 5
(3,671 Views)

Thank you Ben,

I would like to try that, but time is real constraint here. I have max 10 seconds to process the data, and I am running on the fastest possible machines.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,663 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BEANS

See attached.  I embedded the data you posted into the vi.  It didn't seem like any data was less than 8.7 or so, so I modified the range so there would be some points to average.  Some sets were completely out of range so the mean came back as NaN (not a number) because of a divide by zero.

Randall Pursley
Message 4 of 5
(3,654 Views)

Thank you Randall,

Your example through some light on how I can select data with in range.

I shall modify it further to fit into my program.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,646 Views)