From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File permission error; NI-488: DMA hardware error detected - Solved

I am posting this because there were all sorts of threads about error 8 in application builds. Some would say file permission error and list a file path, others had no file path listed. Mine was of the case that no file path was listed. None of the solutions in the threads worked for me, none of the knowledge base article solutions helped. I even tried changing the build location and then received a different error (although I can't remember what it was). What finally solved my problem was a control+shift+click run arrow on my main VI. Retried the build and everything worked fine in every project I had this issue with.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,809 Views)

see above. can't select first post in a thread as a solution.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,808 Views)

Fakeout, problems back, but now on a different project. A reboot solved it though. I need to copy the project to another computer and check if I have the same issue. If I do, I will send to NI for help. If not, it may be an SVN issue (even though my build directory is not added to SVN, it is under my root SVN repository folder.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,790 Views)

Update: it seems when one of these builds is having this problem, LabVIEW is locking the build directory, even when I'm not doing a build. As soon as I open the project, I am unable to delete the corresponding build directory for that particular project. However, for the projects without an issue, I am able to delete these directories even if the project is open (I think, I have tried so many permutations I can't remember). It's almost like LabVIEW is locking itself out. I am trying a repair to see if it resolves the issue. I copied the project to another computer and had no problems.

Message 4 of 6
(3,782 Views)

Have the same problem this morning.

LabVIEW 2012 64bit on Win7.  Never had this problem before.

Rename the builds folder solve the problem.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,753 Views)

George,

I tried moving the whole source code directory and still had the problem. When I tried deleting the builds directory, it wouldn't let me until I closed LabVIEW. It was as if LabVIEW for some reason wasn't releasing a reference, or was holding on to a file. I'm starting to wonder if it is a 2012 bug. I saw a post back in January about the same thing. I have seen a lot of build errors before, but never error 8, unless I had the actual executable still open in the background.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,735 Views)