LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Dialog Express won't let me enter new filename

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to use Write to XML file.vi to write a file which may be an existing file but it may be new.  I would like the default to be supplied so that the user can just click OK.  I would also like to supply my own text to the top of the window. 

Write to XML file doesn't have enough inputs to do that so I thought I would use the File Dialog Express VI to do that.  I supply the Start Path and Default name etc.  But when I run my VI and type in a new filename a window pops up saying:  (new filename) File not found.  Please verify the correct file name was given.  OK.

I cannot see any way round this.

Any help much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,548 Views)

Can you post what you have done. It sounds like you connected something to the wrong place or that you are not understanding how to use some part of the vi.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,547 Views)

I have attached the gist of what I am trying to do.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,545 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pgaastra

aa.png

You have to configure the express vi to allow new files to be selected

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,542 Views)

You need to do this

Right click on the dialog and go to properties:

Example.png

Select these options:

Example 2.png

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,536 Views)

Thanks a lot.

I am sure I clicked "New or existing" or at least that was the default.  However when it look at the properties, sure enough only "existing" is selected.  I tried putting another one on the VI and "existing" was the default. -  sorry, I will have to put it down to old age.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,535 Views)

Happens to the best of us.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,531 Views)

I think I know how it happened.  I copied the File Dialog express VI from part of my code where I was loading files.  However somewhere along the way I definitely did configure one with the new and existing option.... As I say old age.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,526 Views)