LabVIEW 6.02 good
LabVIEW/RT  6.03 very good first real-time version
> LabVIEW 6.1i good
LabVIEW/RT  7.11 very good
LabVIEW/RT 8.0  rubbish
LabVIEW/RT 8.01 rubbish
LabVIEW/RT 8.21 good
LabVIEW/RT 8.5 rubbish
LabVIEW/RT 8.51 not so bad but we have to pay for it, not even a free bug update.
LabVIEW 8.6 ????

Interesting list lego.  One which I tend to agree, except for 8.5 that I do find ok /  good so far.

You missed LV6.1i  which I found good.  I inserted it into your list above.

R
Message 11 of 64
(3,765 Views)

JoeLabView wrote:

lego wrote:
LabVIEW 5.11 very good
LabVIEW 6.0 bad
LabVIEW 6.02 good
LabVIEW/RT  6.03 very good first real-time version
> LabVIEW 6.1i good
LabVIEW/RT  7.11 very good
LabVIEW/RT 8.0  rubbish
LabVIEW/RT 8.01 rubbish
LabVIEW/RT 8.21 good
LabVIEW/RT 8.5 rubbish
LabVIEW/RT 8.51 not so bad but we have to pay for it, not even a free bug update.
LabVIEW 8.6 ????

Interesting list lego.  One which I tend to agree, except for 8.5 that I do find ok /  good so far.

You missed LV6.1i  which I found good.  I inserted it into your list above.

R

This list is evoking a reaction, but I'm having trouble qualifying it.  First I agree on the 5.11.  It was very solid and version 5 was such a quantum leap in features over 4.1.  I have had good success with 8.20, and 8.5 and 8.5.1.  I use mostly RT/FPGA  and I have a lot of systems deployed in 8.20 that seem to be pretty good. (knock on wood)  I guess one comment I do want to make.  As a heavy user of RT/FPGA I care less about features in new releases, I care most about things being rock solid.

lego, as for the complaint about having to pay for 8.51, I can appreciate wanting to keep costs down, but in general LabVIEW is a very economical tool to own.  If you start to compare it to other engineering tools like CAD systems.  The licensing is much more flexible, and the SSP is generally more reasonable.  My recommendation, get on SSP and then  you get all your updates.Smiley Wink
SteveA
CLD

-------------------------------------
FPGA/RT/PDA/TP/DSC
-------------------------------------
Message 12 of 64
(3,748 Views)
The list is great but is there  a way to get subcribed to the list.So that we get intimated on new addition?
Message 13 of 64
(3,723 Views)

Subsciption!

Great idea muks. Since NI is updating this list as newly found bugs are being reported against previous releases ( stop breath)

E-mails with links to newly added bur finds would be very valuabel to me. If I read about it and then run into I shouldbe able to go "wait I read about this one.."

Excellent suggestion muks!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 14 of 64
(3,713 Views)

JoeLabView wrote:

You missed LV6.1i

Joe,

Was it not LV 6i? Or, am I wrong?
- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Message 15 of 64
(3,681 Views)
IIRC, there was a LabVIEW 6.1 AND a LabVIEW 6.i,  I think the "i" referred to "internet" (Why exactly I don't know) but it's a while back, I can't remember.

I used 6.1 for years and found it pretty good.  Of course VI corruption caused some crashes, but otherwise it was a pretty stable development system.

I would also like NI to focus more on stability in the next few releases.  It's nice to have eye-candy, but having a customer solution crash on you is something which takes a while to get over.......

Shane.
Message 16 of 64
(3,663 Views)

Old age...  😉

You are correct.  I used both 6.0i and 6.1.  The better version was 6.1. Not called 6.1i.  Sorry for the confusion 😉

Yes the "i" was for internet.  I think it was because it was the first version with the remote connection over the internet.

And Shane, totally agree about the stability.  LV7.1 was my favorite.  LV8.2 has been quite stable.  No complaints.

Message Edited by JoeLabView on 07-14-2008 07:09 AM
Message 17 of 64
(3,647 Views)
I'm currently using 8.2.1, and I find it OK.  Some things are annoying, but with relatively new features such as LVOOP, this is to be expected.

I have an SSP, so I COULD be using 8.5.1, but I don't have any definite reason to change yet.

Never used 7.1.  Jumped straight from 6.1 to 8.2.1, so I think I missed out on something legendary........

Shane.
Message 18 of 64
(3,635 Views)

Another possible addition to the KNown Issues list could be links to examples that demo the bugs and also the work-arounds.

The example would help people understand the code constructs that demo the bugs but also help those not familiar with the faulty functionality to understand it.

Lets face it, the core of LV is and has been rock solid for years. It is maninly the "attachments" that hang off of LV that get the most hits bug-wise. The demos could be mini-demo's of the new features.

Ben

PS Thanks to all who have replied to this thread as well as all who have yet to do so! Smiley Wink

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 19 of 64
(3,624 Views)

The example would help people understand the code constructs that demo the bugs but also help those not familiar with the faulty functionality to understand it.

Lets face it, the core of LV is and has been rock solid for years. It is maninly the "attachments" that hang off of LV that get the most hits bug-wise. The demos could be mini-demo's of the new features.

Couldnt agree more ben.
Message 20 of 64
(3,619 Views)