From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal Error in LV8.2 Run-Time Engine install

Hi,

We have a serious problem with installation of LV 8.2 Run-Time Engine (RTE).

When a Domain Administrator is trying to install the RTE, the installation stops with the following error (see RTEInstallFatalError.jpg):
In error message path 'mk' references to domain Administrator user name.

When a Local Administrator installs the RTE, there is no problem.

Any explanations or suggestions? It is a very heavy bug, if even the domain administrator cannot install the RTE and therefore use the application.

Thanks,

Wirer

Message Edited by Wirer on 04-04-2007 06:25 AM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,330 Views)
Found a solution to the problem...

As the error indicates there is a problem with the user's profile folder 'My Documents'. Domain administrator did not have 'My Documents' in his profile. After creating such a folder there manually, RTE installation worked successfully.

So now the question rises: why RTE installation requires such a folder to exist? Nothing is installed there!

My opinion is that RTE installation needs to be much more reliable than it is currently. Professional developers who make commercial products using LabVIEW will have a lot of pain with the current solution.

1) Customization options for RTE are poor. I think that most of the companies that deploy their LV-made application want no extra stuff installed. If the developer knows that e.g. TDMS or NI-REPORTS are not used in his application, there should be an option to NOT install these with RTE!

2) There should be more documentation (by NI) on RTE installation and its error handling should be improved.

I hope more discussion on RTE.

Thanks,

Wirer

Message Edited by Wirer on 04-04-2007 08:48 AM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,304 Views)