From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fasted way of stripping 18 bit samples from UDP packet

I dabbled with this problem a bit and your speed (1080 byte inputs, 1000 packets/sec) should be achievable.

I first did a brute force method based on rotate-with-carry that processed the original data and produced the 18-bit samples literally 1 bit at a time.  That was able to handle approximately 2.5 million input bytes/sec, more than 2x your target rate.

I then tried another approach that would support For Loop auto-indexing.  Again, it was pretty crude and brute force otherwise, but that sped things up to over 20 million input bytes/sec.

The main idea was to recognize that every set of 9 input bytes yields 4 output samples.  So you'd reshaped your 1D array of 1080 bytes into a 2D array with 120 x 9 dimension.  Then you can auto-index on the rows in a For Loop.  Each loop iteration will operate on 9 input bytes, and process them to yield 4 18-bit samples.

Finally, I tried to enable parallelism on the For Loop, hoping for another speed boost.  But it actually turned out to hurt.  Probably something about the way I accumulate the array of 18-bit samples.  I really didn't investigate any further.

There's a snippet below to illustrate.  Note: I threw it together quick & crude, and only briefly checked for accuracy.  I expect it can be sped up more, but I also figured 20 million bytes/sec on a nearly 10 year old desktop would serve well enough as proof of concept since you'll only need to handle ~1 million bytes/sec.

-Kevin P

process 18-bit samples.png

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(292 Views)

I had a similar idea targeting 9 bytes at a time, but converting them into a u64 and u8. Might be better to move the to u32 inside the loop, didn't test it but sure you will get the idea.

It just moves the 18 relevant sample bits to the right of the element then masks them off at the end.

9 at a time.png

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(283 Views)