LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to Start Debug Server

Anyone know why I would get "Failed to Start Debug Server" message prompt when I launch my executables on a windows 2000 pc?

forgetting to include something in the installer?

Thanks,
Brian
Brian
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(10,580 Views)
Brian,

You may want to check and make sure that you do not have "Degub Enabeled" selected in your build specification under the Advanced Category.

Xaq
Message 2 of 15
(10,555 Views)

Xaq.  I am using LabVIEW 8.2.   I do not want the program to run when opened. 

"Problem:   VI Settings saved in a build specification are ignored while building the application.
Workaround(s):  Simply change and save the settings in the VI properties of the actual VIs before building the application. This works for all settings except for Run When Opened. A workaround for this setting is tot go to the Advanced page of the build specification and check "Enable debugging" and "Wait for debugger on launch". One side effect is this will include the block diagrams of the VIs and extra code for debug tool support.
ID: 41D846X2, 40HEDDJG "

So why am I getting that prompt "Failed to start debug server" ? The application runs fine after I click on OK and press the run arrow.

I guess it is really not an issue unless I want to debug the exe.  Also,  it does not look that professional to users when they see a message prompt "Failed to Launch Debug Server".   I get a lot of "whats this?" My response "heck if I know".

Brian

Brian
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(10,542 Views)
Hello:

I've developed an application and it has the same problem. When I run the executable, the message "Failed to start debug server" appears. I click the OK button, and the application runs normally. The message doesn´t appear everytime. 

Any ideas why this might happen?

Thanks in advance.

Robst - CLD

Using LabVIEW since version 7.0

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(10,293 Views)
Hi Robst,

You are probably getting the error because you have "enable debugging" set in the advanced properties of the vi, so it tries to start the debug server upon startup.  In order to eliminate the error message, you should just change the setting to disable debugging and recompile the executable.

Regards,

Lauren
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(10,266 Views)

Hello Lauren:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know I've enabled debugging, and that's what I want, since I want to be able to see what the executable is doing, we're still testing the application. I know I can always debug from LabVIEW but if I can debug from the executable itself, I'd prefer it. The message rarely appears, so I'd like to know why it appears, it's a bit of curiosity. Any ideas?

Robst.

Robst - CLD

Using LabVIEW since version 7.0

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(10,258 Views)

Robst,

We have seen a couple of instances in which this error message occurs intermittently.  It has been investigated, but as of yet, cannot be reproduced.  If you are able to isolate the behavior to a specific function or situation, we may be able to trace it down.

Regards,

Lauren

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(10,244 Views)
The Debug Server may have problems starting if NI Service Locator isn't running.  Try these:

1. Verify that NI Service Locator is running.
    • Go to Start»Run
    • Enter services.msc
    • Make sure that NI Service Locator has Started and is set to Automatic
  2. If using a firewall, or any application that can block ports, make sure that Port 3580 is open.  This is the port that NI Service Locator uses.  KnowledgeBase 2GD9CL6Q has a listing of all ports that may need to be open.
  3. If you just installed NI software, be sure to restart your computer.

If all else fails, a work around is to disable Debugging in your Application's Build Specifications.  Double check the application's .ini file on the run-time PC.  If you have these two tokens, they should look like:

DebugServerEnabled=False
DebugServerWaitOnLaunch=False

If you can reproduce this with a very simple VI (a while loop writing the Loop Iteration to a indicator for example), please post the build executable.  We might be able to find the problem.

Trey B
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 8 of 15
(10,134 Views)
I have this problem, and it doesn't seem to be intermittent. I checked for the NI Services Locator and it's not listed.

My system is not a development system, but I have installed the runtime. I'm running VIsta 64-bit OS.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(10,033 Views)

Hi gpww,

If you are not able to see your NI Service Locator in your list of services, that is most likely the source of the problem. Make sure that you are not having issues with your firewall and that port 3580 is open. I am looking into using NI Services Locator with a Vista 64-bit system, and will let you know if there are any problems with this.

In general, this should only be a problem if you have debugging enabled, as discussed above, and should go away if you disable debugging.

Regards,

Stephen S. 

National Instruments
Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(9,999 Views)