From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faced with strange communication problem

Hi All,

Recently faced with strange comunication problem, namely:

BASIS:

- use GPIB devices connected

- use RS-485 cobected devices in the same application with GPIB

On one PC (my with RS 485-RS 232 convertor) I without any problems connect to RS 485 devices and asked them about status

When I try to lunch LV program on other computer I faced with problem that it doesn't see COM ports (some details - I use USB COM convertor and my compter show availiable COM port as COM 😎

For other computer I see that LV allow to choose me only GPIB connection (as VISA resources ) so what should be a problem?

PS. On my PC installed IO library from Agilent as well as NI M&A and all workong well. On second computer installed the same but M&A doesn't see COM's ports - only GPIB

Does anybody advice - what is possible reason?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,321 Views)

Hi Nikolay2013, 

For the second computer (one that can not see COM ports), are you using a USB-to-serial converter, or a PCI card?  Look up the manufacturer for your interface hardware and see if they have a driver for the device.

Are there any "unknown device" listings in the windows device manager?  If so, you are missing the driver for your device.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,288 Views)

I use USB-RS 485 convertor. And second computer install it without any errors. So situation is such:

1. Hardware manager of Win XP see installed ports as COM8 and COM9

2. Agilent IO library suit see those ports with same names (COM8 and COM9)

3. In LabView when I try to choose in "VISA configure serial port" right COM port - it does not exist (I even don't see any standard COM  ports like COM1)

I tried to unistall Agilent IO but it didn't have any effect - situation is the same

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,269 Views)

Problem was fixed by adding device into "VISA resourse name" as ASRLx::INSTR

But for me is not clear why this port is not present in VISA resourses names from dropping list as well as in M&A

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,256 Views)

While this document is old, I think its still relevant. Also look at the additional links at the bottom.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7691827728AF681886256F270057337B?OpenDocument

CLA CTAChampionI'm attending the GLA Summit!
Subscribe to the Test Automation user group: UK Test Automation Group
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,252 Views)