cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTDI libmpsse.dll crash

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am using FTDI C232HM cable to implement SPI function in my Labview 2015 SP1, it had functioned well (I've verified SPI READ/WRITE and deploy the compiled program to other PCs, all functions well)

However last morning when I tried to open my VI file the Labview crashed.

I've tried to debug and found that the crash happened when Call Library Function Node calls libMPSSE.dll, it's weird cause I didn't do anything to the dll files, and I even tried to re-install the whole Labview develop env but didn't works....

My OS is Win 10 64 bit and using Labview 2015 SP1 ver 15.0.1f10 (32bit)

The attachment is the SPI READ subvi and also the dll files are attached.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,559 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ericlee0825

First, libMPSSE tries to dynamically load the FTDI D2XX driver but doesn't check if that succeeds and simply tries later to call those functions even if the load failed. Make sure that your system has the according driver installed. https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/CDM212364_Setup.zip

Depending on the bitness of LabVIEW you should have the ftd2xx.dll present in either

64-bit LabVIEW   C:\Windows\System32

32-bit LabVIeW    C:\Windows\SyWOW64

Once you have that driver installed, there is another potential problem. The way FTDI tries to dynamically load the FTDI D2XX driver was never officially allowed by Microsoft. But it seemed to work for a long time. Sometimes last year Windows 10 seems to have acquired a feature that makes this method lock up the process as Microsoft has warned since many years that it could happen.

I fixed this and created a new libMPSSE dll here and also sent the improvements to FTDI. They responded and told me they would include this fix in an upcoming 1.0 release of the libMBSSE shared library, but that release hasn't appeared on the website yet. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,521 Views)

Hi rofk!

I just updated the driver from CDM_21228 to CDM_212364, but the ftd2xx.dll didn't present in the folder you mentioned.

I put the ftd2xx.dll to the folder manually and it works!!

Really appreciate the information you provided, it helps a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,503 Views)