From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA startup timing and ADC sampling rate

Hello,

I have two Questions concerning the behaviour of the LabView FPGA Code (on CRio 7852R).

1. I have two parallel While-Loops as the base of my programm. There are no start conditions.

Are they executed in the exact same moment? I need them to be executed perfectly synchron. (Given that they take the same clock cycles to execute)

2. I have a While loop where only values from a ADC are read and saved in a register. Also i'm counting the cylces each loop needs. It executes at 808kHz, where the ADC should only run with 750kHz? What exactly happens there?

Thanks for your help,

Stefan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,912 Views)

1. I think so. Another loop can trigger the start times with the 'occurence' block.

2. In my experience with R-series RIOs, if the timing of the ADCs is not regulated, it will run a little faster than its stated maximum, which is what you are seeing. Simplest solution is to regulate to whatever timing you want with the 'loop timer' express vi.

Cheers

Message 2 of 4
(2,867 Views)

Dear Stefan

Good news! there exist some whitepapers for your problem 😃

to 1.)

Parallel Execution
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3749/en/#toc2

to 2.)

i would suggest you use these architecture for your FPGA loop design:

Using Single-Cycle Timed Loops to Optimize FPGA VIs (FPGA Module)
http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371599H-01/lvfpgaconcepts/using_sctl_optimize_fpga/

Best Regards

Simon Hofmann

Message 3 of 4
(2,845 Views)

Thanks for your answers.

Those whitepapers would have saved me a lot of thinking time. (Labeling the sctl condition terminal to true is awesome and simple...feel like an idiot for not thinking of it.)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,839 Views)