cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA: "The bitfile signature does not match." No Changes Made

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a project involving a cRIO9082 and its FPGA Target. My problem is that I keep having to recompile the FPGA build even when I haven't changed anything. Is there a setting that I'm missing here?

Thank you,

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,989 Views)

When exactly you're asked to recompile the VI? When running FPGA VI directly or when trying to run it from FPGA Interface on RT/PC? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,968 Views)

My RT code throws an error telling me to recompile when it tries to initialize the FPGA.

When I click the build in my project and select "Check Signature", I get the message "The bitfile signature does not match."

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,962 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author James.M

OK. It's hard to say why its need recompiling, but the quick workaround is here: configure Open FPGA VI to open bitfile, not the VI (you'll need to create Build Specification on FPGA, build the VI into bitfile).

As for the reasons why it needs recompiling each time:

- Are you moving this code between different machines (via source control for example)? Different version (SP) of LV or FPGA module can be the reason.

- Are you making any changes in the subVIs of your main FPGA VI?

- Do you have any VIs that are used both on FPGA and RT?

Message 4 of 9
(4,957 Views)

Thanks for the advice! I forgot about the Open FPGA options. Hopefully that will work for me. I'm recompiling now and will try to recreate the error once finished (Cloud Compile is a lifesaver).

-I'm not moving code between machines.

-I haven't been making any changes to any FPGA VIs and, actually, I've been leacing that chassis section collapsed.

- All of my FPGA VIs were created seperately from the RT VIs. There aren't very many, so this wasn't too hard to keep track of.

Thanks again,

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,943 Views)

Hey James,

We from time to time see vis that need to be recompiled when they are open and refer to them as dirty dots. If you can trace down which specific vi(s) in your fpga keeps causing the vi to mark as changed we'll create a car to have it fixed. 

Using the bitfile should mitigate this issue for your but we'd certainly like to find out what is causing the change for you and have it fixed.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,889 Views)

Will do!

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,874 Views)

"Will do!" - and did you? If so what did you find?

I am having similar problems using LabVIEW 2017 with a very simple FPGA VI that uses little else, and came across this thread with a search. When  I copy the lvproj to the same path to an identical system I am told that the bitfile signature does not match. It would be good if NI could give a description of exactly why in the error message, i.e. tell us which "dots" are "dirty", then we would know what to fix and wouldn't have to do internet searches!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,352 Views)

Sometimes just changing a conditional compile structure back and forth can provoke this.  Some changes (I think) simply get marked as "changed" without actually linking to how it was beforehand meaning that a change to something else and back again remains marked as "changed".

This causes us all kinds of pain when we re-use VIs on FPGA, RT and host because any conditional compile structures cause the VIs to be almost permanantly "dirty" event hough with regard to the single target, they haven't changed at all.

I try my best to avoid conditional compiles for this reason.  But even a difference in DMA configuration int he project can be enough to trigger this.  It's quite annoying.

Message 9 of 9
(3,346 Views)