LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA module does not support myRIO target

After installing the LabVIEW myRIO Software Bundle with all the necessary Modules (Real Time, FPGA) I'm still not able to run the getting started VI on the myRIO-target (broken run button). Finally, the error is at the "Open FPGA VI Reference.vi" inside the "myRIO v1.1 Open.vi": "Failed to open the referenced FPGA VI because the FPGA Module does not support the current target". The Bitfile is the default personality for myRIO: C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2019\vi.lib\myRIO\FPGA\bitfiles\myRIO v1.1 FPGA.lvbitx 

With exact the same installation procedure on another computer it works perfect!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,727 Views)

I'm guessing (based on the information you provided) that your installation of LabVIEW 2019 is flawed.  I've installed several LabVIEW 2019 systems on several PCs, all working with several myRIOs (all with LabVIEW 2019 drivers and firmware updated from the LabVIEW 2019 "base" on one of the working PCs), and all of the PCs running LabVIEW 2019 (I think all are running SP1, but I'm not 100% certain of that) can compile FPGA code for the myRIO without problems, and all code runs interchangably among whatever combination of PC/myRIO has been attempted.  [We have not, however, tried every PC with every myRIO, largely because we didn't think there would be a problem].

Here are some questions:

• Are you running on Windows 10, 64-bit?  [The answer must be "Yes"].
  • Are you running LabVIEW 32-bit?  [I believe the answer must be "Yes"].
  • Are you running LabVIEW 2019 or LabVIEW 2019 SP1?
  • Are any other (earlier, or later) versions of LabVIEW installed?

Please also do the following:

1. Open NI MAX.
  2. Under "My Computer", expand the Software Tab.
  3. Take a Screen Shot of the installed Software.
  4. Plug in a myRIO (with the myRIO Toolkit installed, if possible).
  5. Under "Remote Systems", expand the Software Tab of the myRIO.
  6. Take a Screen Shot of the installed Software.

Attach both screenshots to your response.  It should be helpful to compare your Software set with what I am running.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,702 Views)

Hi Bob, thanks for your replay. I'm teaching a LabVIEW RealTime/FPGA course with myRIO. Most of the installation are running perfectly. Just a few students having this same problem as I described above. It's not only one installation not running there are like 10 different notebooks having this problem and 30 other notebooks without any problem. They all used the same installation procedure: LabVIEW myRIO Software Bundle 2019 32bit English from the NI packagemanager.

Here are my answers to your question:

Windows 10 64bit

LabVIEW 2019 f2 32bit (thats  the latest version running myrio as I know)

No other LabVIEW versions are installed

In the attachment you will find my screenshots from one student.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,677 Views)

I assume that the problem is, that the installed FPGA module does not have the support files for the myRIO target. If I open a myRIO LabVIEW project, right click on the myRIO-1900, I will find the contect menu to add a new "New/Targets and Devices..." on the installation which is ok. But on the other notebook which doe not run the myRIO target.vis, there is no such entry in the contect-menu available!

We tried to repair the installtion with the NI packagemanager. We tried to uninstall eberything and reinstall several times, but always with the same resault: on a notbook where it was running before it was still running after reinstallation of LabVIEW myRIO. But on a notebook where we have the problem, the problem remains after reinstallation or repair.

Is there any possibility to add the FPGA supported targets?

Are there any registry entries which will make trouble?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,671 Views)

There are a number of things you should make sure of.

First the installation order:

1) LabVIEW 2019SP1

2) LabVIEW Realtime 2019

3) LabVIEW FPGA 2019

4) CompactRIO Toolkit 19.0 or 19.5

5) or optionally myRIO Toolkit 19.x

The CompactRIO Toolkit itself may contain all that is needed for the myRIO but I’m not sure. The myRIO Toolkit SHOULD contain everything that is needed for myRIO support but without the cRIO and sbRIO support.

There is currently no myRIO support for 2020 and 2021

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,645 Views)

Looking at your list of installs, and comparing it with mine (thank goodness for dual monitors), there are some differences, listed as "Yours", "Mine", comments::

• LabVIEW 2019 f2 vs LabVIEW 2019 SP1 (f3) -- I think "trivial", since I've used this myRIO for several years, updating as LabVIEW updates.
  • MAX 19.0 vs MAX 19.5 -- also "trivial", the extra 0.5 goes with the SP1 update.
  • Several other 19.0 vs 19.5 differences that I think are also trivial.  I'll note that this myRIO worked with LabVIEW 2019 before the SP1 update.
  • Remote side, a few more 19.0 vs 19.5 (e.g. Network Streams), again I think trivial.
  • I have LabVIEW Real-Time 19.5.1 on the myRIO side, and you don't.  I think this has a 99% chance of being your problem (see below).  I also have NI-RIO 19.1 (which you do not have).
  • You have NI myRIO 19.0 - May 2019.  I don't have this (though it looks "familiar", so might have been there before SP1 release).
  • I have NI System Configuration 19.5.0 (again, the ".5" is from SP1).  I think I added this "by hand", saying I wanted to "pick" which packages to install on the myRIO.  I recall that this one was helpful (but don't now recall why).

Rolf mentioned that there is no myRIO Toolkit for LabVIEW 2020, nor for LabVIEW 2021 (yet!).  I've inquired about this, as the Toolkit is vital for using the myRIO as a teaching device (bravo to you for doing this!), and the Toolkit is a vital piece of the puzzle.  I have been assured that the Toolkit is being developed, and should be available "soon" (I'm hoping within a month or three).

In the meantime, I've tried to see "what I can do" with a myRIO and a PC that has only LabVIEW 2021 (with LabVIEW Real-Time and Compact-RIO software).  Turns out the answer is "not much" -- I can update the Firmware on the myRIO, but that's about it.  I cannot load software or update software because of some vague error regarding Real-Time (I've just sent NI a Service Request to clarify what is wrong).  

For what it is worth, your myRIO and mine are both running Firmware 7.0.0f0.  I believe that there is a newer Firmware, but this one should work!

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,619 Views)

Thanks a lot for your detailed replay, but it doesn't help at all, since on one computer the exact same installation is running (same versions, same modules, toolkits and drivers, both PC installed with the LabVIEWmyRIO toolkit including RealTime and FPGA) and on the other it is not. There must be a problem with the FPGA installation, but repairing are even completly uninstalling all NI-products and reinstall does not help.

If a software bundle those not simply install successfully it is not useful for classroom teaching!!! I would like to spend time for educational purpose and not for debugging student installations!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,611 Views)

I have a LabVIEW 2018SP1 installation with the CompactRIO 18.5 installed and can also target the myRIO. Never installed the myRIO toolkit itself.

The FPGA installation itself is likely not the problem. This has nothing to do with the fact if the myRIO shows up as a valid target in the LabVIEW project. It is only responsible for providing the specific FPGA target inside the myRIO target and the ability to compile VIs into a bitfile.

The problem must lie in the myRIO and/or CompactRIO/NI-RIO installation which installs project framework support for the RIO hardware.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,603 Views)

This is strange -- it might help to see if the problem is on the Host or Target side.  Suppose you have Host A connected to myRIO A, and Host B connected to myRIO B.  Host A and Host B have the same LabVIEW RT Project, and try to download it to their respective Targets and run it.  Suppose Team A works, and Team B fails.

Now unplug the myRIOs and swap them, Host A connected to myRIO B and Host B connected to myRIO A.  Which Team fails?  If Team A works and Team B still fails, it sounds like the problem is on the Host side.  A careful look at the NI software installed on both PCs, especially Version numbers.  On the other hand, if the failure moves to Team A (Teams are named for their Hosts, I should have said), then myRIO B is the probable culprit.  Look carefully at its Software (including the Firmware, visible in MAX on the right pane).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,576 Views)

OF course I tried everything. I have two exactly the same installation (same install procedure, same version in package manger and MAX): one is ok the other not! The problem is on the host-PC: the "myRIO v1.1 open.vi" has a broken run button due to the error in the "Open FPGA VI Reference.vi" which is: "Open FPGA VI Reference: Failed to open the referenced FPGA VI because the FPGA Module does not support the current target". 

Repairing or complitly uninstall and reinstall does not help at all, the error will be the same afterwards - I tried this on a student PC several times myselfe! Even the NI support can not help me since days!!! This is really annoying to teach this course  - I would rather focus on RT and FPG programming than installing them 😉

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,574 Views)