LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA Version Retrieval

Hi All

I am using LabVIEW 2012 SP1 upon a cRIO-9074.

I notice that when creating an FPGA Build Specification, there is a version number (under category Information) which I can set, and assume this is somehow embedded into the then built bitfile (.lvbitx).

I also notice that I can right-click the FPGA icon of my FPGA project, and use the "RIO Device Setup... > Download Bitfile" feature, I can set any bitfile I like as the startup upon my cRIO.

Once deployed in this way, how can I determine the version of the .lvbitx deployed?

We want to be able to configuration control the FPGA in operation upon a cRIO.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,622 Views)

If your application needs to establish a connection to the FPGA, then the bitfile should be included in the application and should load it into the FPGA when the application starts. This guarantees that the correct bitfile for the application is loaded into the FPGA. The option to load a bitfile on the FPGA is useful if the FPGA runs independently from any other application on the cRIO. See http://www.ni.com/white-paper/9640/en/#toc3

(Edited for clarity)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,607 Views)

This is the case. My FPGA project runs independently of any real-time code. In fact, there is no real time code. It is pure FPGA.

But what I want to know is whether there is a way to directly determine the version number of the FPGA project running on my cRIO target. I do not want a solution that infers the version number. I want to know what the version number IS that the bitfile was built with. And any other information that may be available (such as name, description, etc). I do not expect there to be much but something is better than nothing.

This is basic software configuration control. Without it I cannot confirm anything about the version of code executing on the FPGA.

If the solution is to program a real-time app to pull off this information, then any pointers to information that will help would be useful.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,586 Views)

As far as I know, there is no way to retrieve any information about the bitfile stored in flash on a cRIO unless you code it yourself. I also do not know if there's any way to retrieve that information from a bitfile embedded in an application, but at least in that situation you can easily write code your own solution (although you may need to remember to change the version number yourself on each build). If you need to force the FPGA to load a particular bitfile, use the replication tools mentioned in the article linked in my previous post.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,572 Views)