LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA- Producer loop rate increases with number of analog output placed in parallel loops.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Hope you are doing good and thank you for taking some time out for reading the post.

Scenario: I have a main loop (Producer) that generates ref sine wave. In parallel, I have two loops that captures sine/cosine (respectively) coming back from resolver which will be simply passed through analog output channel.

(Analog input [Raw format]----connects directly to------Analog output [Raw format])

I have refactored the code (attached image and VI) for simplicity to just show the slowing down part. Also, everything works as expected in simulation mode. Screenshot for quick lookScreenshot for quick look

Problem Statement: Even by placing analog output blocks in parallel loops, the main (producer) loop slows down by:

1) One analog output block on diagram: 141 ticks (not a problem)

2) Two analog output block on diagram: 252 ticks (problem)

3) Three analog output block on diagram: 378 ticks (major problem)

(1 tick = 25 ns)

It seems like I am missing out something fundamental here. I did try out different scenarios but they all resulted the same. I would really appreciate if someone could guide me in the right direction..

-Thanking you

Additional Information: Could the update rate be affecting the loop rate?

sbRIO analog output characteristicssbRIO analog output characteristics

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,185 Views)

Hi Xonmyth,

put all AO channels in one loop and in one IO node…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,172 Views)

Hi GerdW,

I really appreciate you responding.

I did put in all the AO in one loop and in one IO node as suggested. But the loop rate is still high, it is 354 ticks. I need it to be around 141 ticks.

Do you have any other recommendation? Also is increased tick count inevitable with increased AO?

Screenshot for quick lookScreenshot for quick look

Thanking you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,157 Views)

What I should have written is that; I put all the AO nodes in separate loops thinking that if I processes these blocks in parallel on FPGA the loop rate will remain low for all the loops.

I get the best results when the sine wave producer loops runs at 141 ticks or less.

If there is no way to meet both the requirements, I will avoid using more than one AO node in the single code. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,119 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author XM43

Hi Xonmyth,

@XM43 wrote:

But the loop rate is still high, it is 354 ticks. I need it to be around 141 ticks.

Do you have any other recommendation?

So it became faster than before by ~20 ticks!?

According to the specs the update time for 3 channels is 8.75us: 350 ticks * 25ns/tick = 8750ns =8.75us.

What else did you expect?

On "parallel access" on FPGA: on cRIO the modules are connected to FPGA using a serial bus. This bus is a shared resource! Using more channels can lead to reduced sample rates per channel.

I guess the sbRIO behaves very similar...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 5 of 6
(1,090 Views)

Hi GerdW, 

Pardon my lack of knowledge. This is what I suspected but I was not sure of. 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,079 Views)