From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA Module: Global Clusters become Locked after Compile?

It seems as if, on some occasions, global clusters become locked after a successful compile of a project - you can't enter edit mode in order to add new elements to the cluster. I haven't been able to lock down the circumstances under which this occurs, but it has happened to at least two projects I've designed.

This is a major heartache, as the only solution I can come up with to add new elements is the following:
1. Create a new cluster.
2. Include all existing elements of the locked cluster as well as your new element.
3. Reset all Variable Representations and Data Ranges.
4. Replace the locked one with your new cluster for all instances in the code.

Is this a bug, or is this simply a limitation in the program? Does anyone know of a simpler way to solve this issue than my solution above?

Thanks,
Dan Price
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,239 Views)
Hello Dan,
I was not able to replicate the issue. Here is what I tried

1. Created a Global variable
2. Used the global variable in my FPGA program.
3. Compiled the program
4. Added elements to the global variable and saved it.
5. Updated my program and compiled it again.

If you can suggest another way to replicate the issue or attach your VI's I will try replicating it. If you think it happens occasionally then we should be able to narrow it down to specific circumstances to troubleshoot.

Thank you and have a good day
RMM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,224 Views)
Restarting labview "unlocked" the clusters for me. Although annoying, it's still easier than the solution I was using previously.

I still haven't been able to lock down the problem, but if I happen to do so, I will post again on this thread.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,214 Views)