LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA Compilation Error Error -61332: The length of a line in <'file.vhdl'> is too long for xilinx 10.1. Length:<some length> Max Length: 4150

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

When compiling a fairly basic FPGA VI I get the following error:

Error -61332 occurred at niFpgaCompileWorker_ProcessStatusPipe.vi:1<-niFpgaCompileWorker_GetStatus.vi<-niFpgaCompile_Worker.vi:1

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW FPGA: An unexpected error occurred with the compilation tools. Trying to compile the FPGA VI again might resolve the issue.

The length of a line in 'NiFpgaAG_0000002e_WhileLoop.vhd' is too long for xilinx 10.1. Length:32845 Max Length: 4150

Start Time: 5:22:06 PM
End Time: 5:22:12 PM
Total Time: 00:00:06

Apparently the NI vhdl code generator forgot to add some CR+LF's in the intermediate files. How do I get around this bug?

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,923 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author solarsd

Hi Lukas,

When LabVIEW compiles a VI, the VI is converted to vhd to be compiled into a bit file by Xilinx.  As you have already realized, this error specifies that a line of the vhd code had a length of 32,845 characters, which is beyond the maximum length of 4150 characters for the Xilinx 10.1.  

Although 32,845 characters is very long, it is possible that this is due to the LabVIEW coding rather than a bug. Some common causes of this issue include large enums, arrays, or clusters in the code.  Please check for these in your code.  If you don't have any luck, please attach a screenshot of the code.  Hope this helps!

Regards,

Dayna P.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,891 Views)

Hi Dayna,

You're right, this error was due to an array constant of 2048 int16 elements in my FPGA VI. I got around this limitation by declaring the array as a FPGA Memory element.

As a sidenote on poor LabView coding, I borrowed the idea of having an array constant declared directly in my VI from the Sine Output example, that came with the FPGA Module Tookit. And I still would call a bug the fact that LabView VHDL parser produces files with line lenghts that the Xilinx compiler cannot handle. That's just a basic requirement for any parser. Maybe that's something that could be fixed in future versions of the Toolkit.

Thanks,

Lukas

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,876 Views)

Hi Lukas,

Thank you for that feedback.  I recommend that you submit a product suggestion: http://digital.ni.com/applications/psc.nsf/default?OpenForm

Have a great day!

Dayna P.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,862 Views)