cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FP text Changes in Windows Foreigh Languages

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I have made an application front panel designed with English language text in 17pt Calibri font Windows english language. However, when a user changes their Windows language to Chinese the text converts to a block style text alternate which messes up the front panel by taking up more than the alloted space. Is there a way to make the text impervious to Windows language settings? I don't need to translate the text to chinese I just need it to appear in calibri 17pt still. I have images below that might explain more.

I apoogize if this question has already been asked, I've looked and looked but found nothing relevant.

coffeefreak_2-1609783638543.png

coffeefreak_3-1609783657756.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,572 Views)

Don't use the symbolic fonts like Application Font, Dialog Font, ....

Set your fonts for the controls explicitly like Tahoma 12. Or Calibri.

Also note that the font size in LabVIEW does not directly match up with the font size in Windows.  The numbers refer to different things, but I can't remember which is which.

I really don't know why Windows makes the fonts look so blocky in Japanese and Chinese, but I see it on front panels posted on the forum.  It makes Windows look like it is still in the 1980's.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,560 Views)

I'm not sure if the "Application Font" leads to that situation.

And I use the method similar to the following link to keep the font the same.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000fynASAQ&l=zh-TW

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,559 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author coffeefreak

@William1225 wrote:

I'm not sure if the "Application Font" leads to that situation.

And I use the method similar to the following link to keep the font the same.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000fynASAQ&l=zh-TW

Actually, Application does lead to that as well.   As you see in the link you posted, the three fonts are defined as "2", "1", and "0".  Those are links to the Windows fonts.  I can't remember which LabVIEW symbolic fonts line up with which Windows symbolic fonts.  But if you go into themes and changes fonts, you wind up changing things all the way through to LabVIEW because of the 0, 1, 2,  and the App, Dialog, System.

If you don't explicitly assign a named font to a control on the front panel, but only the App, Dialog System, then you could go into LabVIEW.ini, or MyApp.ini if you created an application called MyApp.exe, and replace the 0 1 and 2 with specific names like Calibri or Tahoma.

I find it best to assign fonts on the front panel, and also in my LabVIEW.ini.  That way any new controls I place are fixed, and if I create an application, I'm not relying on an ini linked to that exe to continue setting the font to a fixed font.  Otherwise your front panel is subject to the whims of the OS settings, and even the font zoom settings/scale factors in Windows.

Here are the lines I put in my LabVIEW.ini for every version of LabVIEW.

FPFont="Tahoma" 13
AppFont="Tahoma" 13
DialogFont="Tahoma" 13
SystemFont="Tahoma" 13
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,550 Views)

Hi RavensFan,

Thanks to your feedback.

Yes, I agree the format of your LabVIEW.ini, and I did like yours.

I didn't find the appropriate link to express what I did exactly, so that I used the "similar" word...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,539 Views)

Thank you so much! I appreciate the information, sorry for the late response. I will try this solution and see if it gets me where I am going 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,474 Views)