LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely small cursors on both the front panel and the block diagram

Hello kaneem!

You are running windows 10 and LabVIEW 7?

We do not offer support for this version of LabVIEW in Windows 10.

The minimum version supported on Windows 10 is LabVIEW 2015 SP1 and not all versions of it. You can review this here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/52818/en/

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 72
(3,359 Views)

We do not use LV2017, we use LV 7.1.1 (because LV 7.1.1 out performs every version past 8.0. And the performance gap increases each year). Each year we convert over, benchmark, assess and revert back to 7.1.1  again.

Yes I understand NI does not support LV7.1 on Windows 10, nor 8.1, nor 7. But someone in the community may have encountered this issue and resolved it.

Adjusting the display resolution, or mouse icon settings makes no difference. Dropping down to 1080p or any other resolution makes no impact.

Cheers,

Kane.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 72
(3,345 Views)

Kane,

In your picture, you showed the pointer in MS Word also being tiny.  It appeared the only one that was the right size was on the desktop itself.  Where all do you see the tiny cursors?

Mostly, I'm trying to see if the focus should be on the LV installation or on something more OS related.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 72
(3,322 Views)

Hey,

I'm also seeing this issue with Windows 10 64-bit and LabVIEW 2017 32-bit on an ultra-high-resolution screen.

I'm pretty sure it's related to the screen, since the mouse in LabVIEW is exactly the same size as the mouse pointer would be without the magnification from Windows 10 (the "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" option in display settings).

The mouse pointer is only small on the actual block diagram and front-panel themselves, not on toolbars, menus, pallets, or the project window.  The problem also happens in LabVIEW 2016 32-bit, and began after one of the recent Windows Updates.

The mouse pointer on the block-diagram itself is also different from the Windows cursor, so it looks like LabVIEW is rendering its custom cursors (select, wire, etc.) in raw pixel sizes and ignoring the magnification from Windows, so it's tiny on ultra-high-res screens.

(edited to reflect further testing)

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 72
(3,306 Views)

Hey guys,

Have you tried this:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvhowto/maintaining_window_proport/

-Andrea G

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 72
(3,288 Views)

I'm having the same issue. The cursors are hard to see. I've tried the different compatibility options in the Windows 10 Creators Update. Using a 4k display and my Surface display at a 200% scaling setting.

The front panel elements and just about everything scale fine (although look all pixelated). The cursor is extremely tiny and can be hard for me to see on the screen and tell which tool I have selected. 

This problem persists in LabVIEW 2017 32-bit, 2017 64-bit, and 2015 SP1 32-bit.

Edit: A simple solution to this would be an option in LabVIEW to enable double size cursors.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 72
(3,251 Views)

Hello Hello

Could you all post in

IDEA EXCHANGE

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/ct-p/ideas

This forums are reviewed by our R&D Department and I believe they should be aware of this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 72
(3,217 Views)

Since I made the original post, I have seen it on a couple of other applications too. However I have now reinstalled windows 10 and started fresh.So far I have not seen small cursors again. The issue is not isolated to just Labview as I had since discovered, however the issue is certainly something NI needs to be aware of and address.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 72
(3,213 Views)

Same thing is happening to me with Windows 10 and LV2017.  It was working fine one day, and the next day my cursor was tiny.  I have not seen it on any programs other than LabVIEW.

Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 72
(3,181 Views)

"Hey guys,

Have you tried this:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvhowto/maintaining_window_proport/

-Andrea G

National Instruments"

Tried it, but it did not help.  Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 72
(3,178 Views)