From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting specific digits from a number

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm writing something to help my daughter with maths and came across a little problem which I solved, but wondered if there was a neater way of doing it? More out of interest than anything.

Essentially I have a two digit number and want to extract what the two digits are to be able to do something with them. So for example if I had the number 59, the first digit would be 5 and the second would be 9.

The way I have done it is to convert it to a string and then split the string and then convert it back to a number again.

Hardly computationally intensive but just seems inefficient. Is there a better/ neater/ shorter way of doing it?

Thanks

Andrew

AndyF_0-1634557980364.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,252 Views)

For a two digit number I would use 'Quotient & Remainder' function and divide by ten.

QaR

Message 2 of 4
(2,241 Views)
Solution
Accepted by AndyF

This is my implementation for a general one, seems to work for digits before decimal and after:

Spoiler
Get Digit.png
Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

Message 3 of 4
(2,230 Views)

Great, thank you both! Have given Kudos to both, but selected FireFist-Redhawk's as the answer as it provides a greater degree of programmability and also allows my code to be scaleable.

Thanks again

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,159 Views)