From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting .s2p files from 8722A Network Analyzer?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I wish to extract .s2p files from my HP 8722A Network Analyzer.

I could not find a driver for it. It is connected to my computer over GPIB.

I am quite new to this, so if anyone could explain the overall process to extract .s2p files from a network Analyzer, that would be much appreciated.

I imagine that one takes a measurement, stores it under a certain filename, then a command retrieves it and sends it to the computer?

Thank you so much,

Nicolas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,413 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author htnicolas

Nicolas,

Instead of extracting the .s2p files, which because of the age of the device (manual I found said 1991), could be very difficult, I think we would be better served communicating with the device directly and not using the files it creates. Instead of the process you described, we could set it to take a measurement, send the measurement to the computer, and have the computer do any manipulation/saving it may need.

This manual discusses the basics of communication over GPIB with that device in chapter 12:

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/08720-90135.pdf 

GPIB communication is typically pretty simple. The computer will just send the device in question the command or series of commands then wait for the response back, much like the GPIB examples in labview (Example finder>>Hardware IO>>GPIB).

Unfortunately for us, the Agilent website here:

http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/product.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=8722A:epsg:pro&nid=-536900197.536...

only has the operating and service manuals, and not the programming reference manual.  You may want to contact agilent to get the programming reference manual, as that will list all of the commands you need to send the device.

Regards,

Kyle Mozdzyn

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

Regards,

Kyle M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,399 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

The reason I want to get the .s2p files directly is that other people will be processing that data afterwards.

After some research, I managed to find the following programming guide which is compatible with the 8722A:

http://128.238.9.201/~kurt/manuals/manuals/HP%20Agilent/HP%208752C%20Programming.pdf

The commands used in the example programs work (I'm currently looking at p155).

I've gone through every single command in the programming reference

http://128.238.9.201/~kurt/manuals/manuals/HP%20Agilent/HP%208719C,%2020C,%2022A,%2022C%20HP-IB%20Pr...

but I couldn't find the one command that will output the s parameters measurement.

I'm quite confused right now.

Do you know how I can output the results of a meaurement I just made?

I plan to send "s11" and then read back the results.

I tried "OUTPFORM" but I get strange, seemingly unrelevant numbers back.

Thank you very much,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,394 Views)

Nicolas,

Could you take the data on the machine then distribute the files in a more easy to handle format, such as a TDMS or CSV?

As for how to directly retreive the s2p files or how to use specific functions via programming, you may want to contact agilent, as they may know the device better. 

Regards,

Kyle Mozdzyn

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

Regards,

Kyle M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,374 Views)
Kyle,
I will research the option of getting other file formats. thank you for your suggestions.
It turns out agilent confirmed that the 8722A network Analyzer is too old and does not handle .s2p files. So I'm working on constructing the file myself by pulling the frequency list, the phase values, the magnitude values individually then puttin them together.
Thank you for your replies, it was extremely helpful.
Regards,

Nicolas
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,371 Views)

Hi everyone,

I attached the VI created to build an S2P file from extracted data out of an HP8722A Network Analyzer.

Hope this comes handy to somebody one day.

Nicolas

Message 6 of 6
(5,347 Views)