From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting from Blender 3d object format WRML2 with 2 material texture

My problem in applying a wrml2 from Blenders Export with texture which LabVIEW is displaying it as a deformed or distorted even with 2 material with texture. I also notice that if I use sold color on the texture with no details on it.  LabVIEW will display it as silhouette as sold color in the .png but will not respond to diffuse light and only show one color. I tried different UV Mappings even Cube projection, Cylinder projection sphere projection. Sometime I think it edge are not being read and it is using some sort of default uv mapping of it's own.  I am not having any problems with painting the object, but am struggling with Texturing.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,097 Views)

Hello lioDAG,

I would like to get some more background on your issue. I would appreciate if you could let me know the following: 

1) What procedure are you using to apply/import these textures in LabVIEW

2) Could you please upload an image of what you expect to see and what you are actually seeing in LabVIEW?

3) What software versions are you using? 

Regards 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,049 Views)

1.) How did I imported 3D Object to LabVIEW? On Block Diagram, selected Graphics & Sound under Programming. Then on Graphic & Sound selected 3D picture Control.  Next select Load VRML File.vi.  What I understand LabVIEW will take file .wrl as an object with it's tributes or interpret the file. Did I miss something?

2. Yes, By the way I check the 3D Object that I created in Blender (with textured) and importing it to Sold Works as .wrl which come out Good / it was able to interpret it correctly.  On Vi that I send you should notice that the 3D Object is Distorted.

3. I am using LabVIEW 2016, Blender 2.7b,and Full version of Sold Works.

Thanks for your Reply, I appreciate your response and helpfulness. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,027 Views)

Hi lionDAG,

I have been playing around with your VI, but so far I cannot see any reason for this behavior. 

I one question, did you base this VI in an example or a community example?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,003 Views)

I did not basing this example on a community example.  You can find the original vi on Labview, examples; path C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2013\examples\Graphics and Sound\  select 3D folder, and you will find it. .  The only thing I added this WRML2/.wrl with texture or wrap with image file .png.   I found that Labview did some what accept simple object with texture, but it has no diffusion.  These simple 3D object is the four plans intercepting each other this image is a fire-ball or a flame with out diffusion.  You can see the rocket with out texture but painted does work and has diffusion.   I have another question how many 3D Picture Control one find in Labview and if there is which one works well with file .wrl? Last question do you know if Labview has x3d files 3D Objects, If it does what version of Labview?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(2,984 Views)

I found out that latest both Soldworks and Blender can read each other's texture, but LabView can't read it.  It seem that LabVIEW need to improve on reading texture on 3D Object form VRML2.  If their is some one can prove that I am wrong and can you explain why is it behaving that way? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(2,940 Views)

LionDAG,

Can you explain what exactly you think needs improvement with regards to LabVIEW and its ability to handle VRML2 files? I am just trying to understand your question better. What have you tried that has shown that LabVIEW can't read it? Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,925 Views)

To answer your question Mr. Walker .P, I have created a 3D Object which is a simple rocket, and simple flat plan square in Blender, and added texture with an image file type .png (Portable Network Graphics).  I used unwrapping and uvmapping (texture mapping).  Later, exported from Blender as WRML2 to Solidworks in order to test the quality of the 3D image by importing it as WRML2. Yes, both can ready WRML2, but LabVIEW does not do a great job. When I apply it to LabVIEW, it only reads flat plan square, to me it very simple image, but it does not do reflection from a source light. On the other hand, a rocket which is not so simple as a square (flat plan square) or rectangle or cylinder or circle.  For some reason LabVIEW does not like simple design of a rocket with texture with an image file .png, and again it can't reflect light from the light source. LabVIEW displays image form .png distorted or broken repeating cross the whole rocket.  I also notice that if I use paint instead of image (file .png) it works fine. I would like to wrap 3D Object (image) WRML2 with image file .png and display it on LabVIEW and with reflection as is coming out as if was a painted texturing.  Above, I gave you a sample of my work so that you can understand, please see it. If I am doing something wrong or need add anything please do tell me.    

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,898 Views)

Walker P. I would like LabVIEW read/display VRML2 files like Blender and Solidwork.  They can read/display WRML2 with texture image (file .png or .jpg) warped. What I experience in LabVIEW, It can do very simple one, for example; flat square plan, but will not reflected light. When doing a body of a rocket, it shows the image texture distorted all over the object, but again with no reflection from light source. On the other hand, a painted texture LabVIEW can ready/display my rocket perfectly and light being reflexed.  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,898 Views)

Hello lionDAG,

• Have you tried checking the following forum post about adding a texture to a 3D image (STL file format)? 
  • Could you please save your 3D image in a STL format instead and apply the texture manually from within LV using the Apply Texture function?
  • Have you tried importing your WRML file into LV without the texture on it, and adding it manually from LabVIEW using the Apply Texture function?
    • What were the results?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,877 Views)