LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Syslog Data of a specific duration

Hi all,

In our project Syslog VIs are used for logging debugging information. Now there is a need to copy a specific duration of syslog data to another file. But I am not able to locate the file where this syslog is stored. My doubts are,

1. Will the syslog data be stored only by a syslog collector?
    • Will there be no local data in the syslog client only system?
  2. Is there any API to get only a specific duration of data - say 1 hour or 1 day etc.?

P.S.: I have not used Syslog before & this part of the code was already developed, hence starting to learn now. Have referred to online links, but did not get clear information for the above questions.

Thanks,

Priyadarsini S

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,862 Views)

Hi Priyadarsini,

I assume you are referring to the syslog Protocol Reference Library?  http://www.ni.com/example/30980/en/

I can answer your general questions, but more information will be available by reviewing the example I linked above as well as the syslog protocol.

1) Yes, the syslog data will only be stored by a syslog collector.  That can be on the same physical system as the client, this is how many Linux distributions implement their local system logging.

2) Syslog entries are of the format "<12>Jul 16 14:52:34 cRIO_Controller_2 DAQ_Process: Error 54".  You'll notice that the second field is the datetime that the entry was recorded.  It should be a simple matter of string filtering to select only the data you are interested from a larger file.  There are also third party tools readily available to assist with this.

Thanks,

Michael B.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,793 Views)