cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export FPGA Onboard clock to io modules

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Is it possible to Export the FPGA Onboard clock, or any derivates, to any I/O Modules?!

Greeting

Matthias

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,766 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,746 Views)

Jear but this is not what I want! ^^

Sorry in my first post i didn't express my self right!

So I want to use the Reference Clock (40MHz)  of my FPGA chip to export to an I/O Modul and use it instead of their own Reference Clock (12,xxx MHz)!

Object iss to measure faster...^^

Thank you 

der Matze

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,728 Views)

Which FlexRIO IO Module are you using?  This will help determine which signals you have access to drive via the standard CLIP's.

In general, I use the DDR flip-flops in the FPGA to drive a clock signal on an I/O pin.  This way you have a deterministic timing relationship between the internal and external copies of the clock.  This matters if you are using the clock to transfer data between the FPGA and the IO Module.

You can instantiate a DDR flip flop in the IO Module CLIP or in a user CLIP.

-RB

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,715 Views)

Hello,

Iam using a NI cRIO 9014 with an cRIO 9118 and an cRIO 9104 FPGA Chassis.

MJ

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,706 Views)

Ah - my answer applies to FlexRIO adapter modules.  I am not familliar with the options for exporting clocks on the cRIO platform.

-RB

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,699 Views)

Hi,

For no one else has a idea or knowledge which he denies with?  Smiley Tongue

Have a nice weekend and a Successful WorldCup

Matze

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,656 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MaJahn

I am assuming this is referring to an NI 9225, 9227, 9229, or 923x module in a CompactRIO chassis.  You cannot export the onboard 40 MHz clock to these modules.  One of the modules must be a master and then you can synchronize the timebase for all modules by setting the Master Timebase Source in the C Series Module Properties dialog.

Exporting the 40 MHz clock would not allow you to acquire data much faster anyway.  Depending on the frequency of the timebase, you can calculate the data rates using the NI 9225 Operating Instructions and Specifications.  However, you are still limited to sample rates within the specified data range.  For a timebase other than 12.8 MHz, your maximum possible sample rate will only be about 51.2 kS/s instead of the available 50 kS/s with the 12.8 MHz timebase.

Donovan
Message 8 of 9
(4,619 Views)

Hello Donovon,

I have the same issue. I am acutally trying to access the 40 MHz onboard clock usng a FPGA Referance open.VI. But I am unable to access the onboard clock outside the FPGA block. 

I read your comment on synchronizing the clock to 40 MHz but I couldnt understand how can I accomplish the same. 

Thank you in advance. 

Rabi

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,265 Views)