LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Clock on USB 6356

Hello,

I'm having trouble routing the 10Mhz reference clock from the USB 6356. It seems the right way to about this is to use the export signal vi. I am attaching what I have so far. This program simulates a signal which gets exported to one of the ao pins. This pin is then fed into all 8 analog inputs. The idea is to have the reference clock exported from this program, which will feed into a daq on a different machine. I want to try to sync these two daqs and see how well the signal acquisition is synchronized.

My question is:

Can the reference clock be exported through a PF line without having to use the create channel VI? If I try the timing VI without creating a task, the program will not compile. In the context of this program, it does not make sense to me that you would have to specify a physical input channel, since all 8 input channels are taken by the daq assistant.

Advice on how to proceed to fit my requirements would be fantastic.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,412 Views)

Hi sj367.

You need to create a task to get the reference clock because that task is creating your reference to your device. It does not appear to matter what the actual task is, but it is necessary so you know what clock is being configured and used.

One other thing that may be worth a look is to search through our community examples on multi device synchronization and refer to those for help. It may be of benefit but your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

James W.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,390 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

If I were to create a task using one of the input channels, would that interfere with the daq assistant that will use all 8 channels?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,383 Views)

sj367

You should be able to route any of your sample or reference clocks through the PFI lines, without creating a new task, or you can use an external sample clock.  Check out this tutorial for lots of info on timing and synchronization, including a section specifically about signal routing.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,363 Views)

Thank you for the information.

I apologize for belaboring the point, but I still cannot find the solution to my problem with this tutorial or on forums. Would it be possible for someone to explicitly show directions on how to export a reference clock through a PF line without creating a new task on a USB X series DAQ?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,351 Views)