From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable not writing to tdm/tdms files.

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author JingleMyBell

OK, not the most elegant solution, but I have things working.

I was unable to grab the required USI installers from the LabWindows/CVI directory on the February 2009 DVDs. Unsure why.

Seeing Fourth Quarter 2008 DVDs container version 9.0 of LabWindows/CVI Full Development System, I inserted 4th Quarter 2008 DVD 2 and everything was happy.

I was able to build with USI installers and my executable is now creating output files. Thanks for everyone's help.

I still have some open questions, though:

1) Still being new to executables and installers, a nice summary capturing which installers should be included when building an installer would be very beneficial. Yes, I know you can read some details when selecting the installers in the advanced window, but a "cheat sheet" would be immensely helpful, so as to point the non-expert user to which installers, beyond the run-time engine, MAX, and DAQ, are needed in the process of building an installer. Or as a future enhancement, make the installer builder smart enough to know which installers are needed based on the VIs used.?

2) Related to this, per my previous comment, I also believe a lot could be done to improve the installer, so as to not include unnecessary bulk (i.e. the now 845MB of installers needed for my 3MB application). How do I create more lean installers?

3) Stefan - You stated only the full LabVIEW Run-Time Engine (stand-alone) Installer contains the parts mentioned, including NI USI. This led me to believe including the the LabVIEW 8.6 run-time engine installer alone would supply the needed USI. But then you said it is still necessary to include NI USI when using storage VIs. I'm confused as to how both could be true.

4) Why was I unable to grab the necessary USI installers from the February 2009 Developer Suite DVDs?

On the subject of debugging executables, with a bit more searching, I found this: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8DA679805915DE40862572D5007B2F70 Didn't investigate far enough to come to the conclusion it would have told me I was lacking USI, but I hope that's what it would have led me to discover had I debugged long enough.  And at least now I'm a bit familiar with it.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(991 Views)

"2) Related to this, per my previous comment, I also believe a lot could be done to improve the installer, so as to not include unnecessary bulk (i.e. the now 845MB of installers needed for my 3MB application). How do I create more lean installers?

3) Stefan - You stated only the full LabVIEW Run-Time Engine (stand-alone) Installer contains the parts mentioned, including NI USI. This led me to believe including the the LabVIEW 8.6 run-time engine installer alone would supply the needed USI. But then you said it is still necessary to include NI USI when using storage VIs. I'm confused as to how both could be true. "

Using the LabVIEW Application Builder you can integrate the installer parts which are needed by your application. You have several options how to build an installer for your installer:

a) Create an installer which contains only your application. In this case you additionally need to install the full featured Run-Time Engine on the target computer.

b) Create an installer which contains your application, the LabVIEW Run-Time, NI USI and other components your application depends on by checking them in the LabVIEW application builder.

Option a) requires to run two installer on the target computer. Option b) will create one self contained installer - I think this should be smaller than 845MB

4) Why was I unable to grab the necessary USI installers from the February 2009 Developer Suite DVDs? 

If the NI USI installer could not be found by the LabVIEW Application Builder, please point the LabVIEW Application Builder to the media you originally installed LabVIEW to get the correct version of NI USI.

Message 12 of 12
(965 Views)