LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable not writing to tdm/tdms files.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I've written a wrapper around a VI which controls inputs to designed hardware and monitors the outputs for extended life testing purposes.  We use compact DAQ for the data acquisition and control.  As we don't want to tie up a LabVIEW license for 6 months to run the desired testing, I've compiled an executable and built an installer.  All worked without problem on a PC with LabVIEW and all appeared to be working well on a PC without LabVIEW with the executable... until I decided it was time to start analyzing the logged outputs (tdms files).  The application is able to control my hardware no problem, as I able to see it transitioning through various states, and the key measurements I'm displaying on the user interface are valid, but the log files are simply not being created, not even an empty file.  At the lowest level, the Open Storage [TDM] VI is called to open or create the file (filename entered by user or created with timestamp if not entered) and each "bit" of data is written through Write Data [Channel group] and Write Data [Channel] VIs.  On the PC with LabVIEW, output files are created no problem.

Haven't worked with executables before.  How do I begin debugging (without installing LabVIEW on the PC in question - and when everything is fine when run on a computer with LabVIEW installed)?  Have tried building the executable with debugging enabled, but not sure how to "activate" the debugging or step through like in LabVIEW... or if that's even possible...  I don't receive any warnings or errors while running.  Is there something special I need to do in building my executable or installer, particularly for writing TDMS files from executables? 

Thanks in advance

-Andy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,130 Views)

Hi there...

do you have write rights for the folder you want to write to?

Seas

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,127 Views)
No write protection on the destination folder
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,120 Views)
Hi there..

I would write a small application, to test all the functionality you need to make shure the funcions are working.
Flush?

seas

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,117 Views)

When you created the installer (I hope you did an installer) and selected the Additional Installers, did you include NI USI? The description of that is:

USI - Universal Storage Interface

Contains components to support Universal Storage Interface (used by LabVIEW Storage VIs, CVI and DIAdem)

Seems to be kind of important since you are using the Storage functions.Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 12
(4,107 Views)

One common issue with file IO and executables arise form relative paths.  In an executable you need to strip off one extra level from your relative pathe (.exe is actually part of the path).  Can not tell if this is the issue from your post, but it is a common source of executables not creating files.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 6 of 12
(4,103 Views)

Dennis,

I believe you’ve put me on the right path. I did build using an installer, but I did not know to include USI (Is there a nice summary somewhere which captures which installers should be included when building an installer? Or how is one to know what to select beyond the run-time engine, MAX, and DAQ?).

When I try to re-build my installer, I am prompted for 2 things. I can’t recall what from the drivers DVD – which worked fine.

Then I’m prompted: “Locate the “NI LabWindows/CVI 9.0 Full Development System” distribution. LabVIEW needs to copy a component installed or updated by the distribution to continue building the installer.” The folder needed indicates “D:\Distributions\CVI 9.0”.

I insert First Quarter 2009 DVD 2 of 5, which windows explorer tells me contains the folder “D:\Distributions\CVI 9.0”. I press OK and am continually prompted for the same, as if it is unable to locate the needed files. OK… so I try the browse function and select the nidist.id in the CVI 9.0 folder… and I get “You cannot choose this folder name; a file of that name already exists.” …I try the “Current Folder” button, am returned to the “Locate Distribution” dialog and the text Invalid location for “NI LabWindows/CVI Full Development System” appears. I’m unable to locate another LabWindows/CVI 9.0 directory on any of the other 5 DVDs. What am I doing wrong?

I'm confused. 

Side note: I find it a bit hard to believe a 3MB executable really needs more than a CD’s worth of data (>830MB) to create an installer. Sure, I understand MAX, DAQ, and the run-time engine are needed, but 830 MB? Surely there must be a way to slim down the installer. How do I do that?

Message 7 of 12
(4,075 Views)

N USI....?

LabVIEW 8.5 Run-Time Engine (Standard) gives full support for executables. This version will support all executables built with LabVIEW as well as allow viewing of Remote Front Panels in web browsers. It includes support for DataSocket, Variable Engine and NI-USI. This version can be deployed using an installer created with Application Builder. Download LabVIEW85RuntimeEngineFull.exe to install this version.....

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/861/lang/de

Message Edited by teddy 150 on 03-04-2009 03:23 PM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,071 Views)

Only the (full) LabVIEW Run-Time Engine (stand-alone) Installer contains the parts mentioned above, including NI USI.

When building an installer with the LabVIEW Application Builder for an application which contains the Storage VIs the NI USI installer needs to be included.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,036 Views)

when Labview was installed, it created an Folder ->C:\National Instruments Downloads\LabVIEW\8.6\English\LabVIEW860\Products\NI-USI ... chose this one, or include it manually in the advanced Catergory.... (15,2 Mb)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,029 Views)