From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable fails to read a comm port

Hi,

Ive developed a simple code to automate testing of some units built at our site. I developed the app using LabView 2009 on a Win 7, 32bit machine. I have created the executable and an installer (including Labview 2009 runtime and VISA runtime. The executable installs OK onto a win XP machine. However, when I run the application it fails to read the COM port.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,719 Views)

Can you give more details about the fail? It's a reading timeout?

Are you using a serial to USB converter?

Regards,

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,714 Views)

What is the error message and error number you are getting. Put one error out and check.

Put your code also it will be easy to debug. Do you have COM port in your PC ? Becasue now a days there is no COM port ?

Please make sure of that.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,709 Views)

I can confirm that there is a com port. I tested my code in development and it works fine. I even installed the executable on my machine(which I used for development) and that worked OK as well. The only error my executable shows is that there is a write error, basically there is no connection to the com port.

I guess I'll have to put in some error reports to my front panel.

It looks to me that there is something missing. Am I correct in saying that all I need to include is labview 2009 runtime and visa runtime for my code to read the com port. Is there anything else I need to add as additional installers?

I'm afraid I can't post the code as its restricted 😞

Thanks for the help.

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,705 Views)

But atleast you can put your code snapshot ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,700 Views)

In the same PC your EXE file is not detecting COM port ?

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,697 Views)

What is VISA version ?

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,696 Views)

I have attached the subvi, which is pretty much the NI example. Unfortunatly, I can divulge anything further. But this is certainly the problematic area.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,691 Views)

Rajeet, I'm not sure I understand your question regarding the PC and EXE.

The Visa runtime is 4.6.2.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,689 Views)