LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable crashes on exit

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an application that crashes when I close the exe. The app doesn't exhibit this behavior from within the IDE.

JY

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,850 Views)

Hi JY,

ok, crashing isn't nice. But as you don't ask for anything, I think it's not a problem to you Smiley Wink

The standard Windows error message doesn't provide any information needed to help here.

Maybe you should attach a VI? Or explain, what the app is doing? Or list the used ActiveX (or any other problematic components)?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 8
(2,834 Views)

@GerdW wrote:
[...]
Kudos are welcome :smileywink:

Here is one  Smiley Wink

And:

There are so many well behaving LabVIEW applications out in this world that do not crash when they stop.

Guenter

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,820 Views)

It doesn't crash when it stops. It gives me an error message when I exit the labview window its self. This only happens with the executable. I am looking for constructive opinions on how to go about solving this issue. Does anyone have any experience with something of this nature?

JY

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,810 Views)

@jeffyy wrote:

It doesn't crash when it stops. It gives me an error message when I exit the labview window its self. This only happens with the executable. I am looking for constructive opinions on how to go about solving this issue. Does anyone have any experience with something of this nature?

JY

Yes, there can be many reasons.

My favourite is: Forgetting to unload a DLL that still has some resorces open when the application runs the LabVIEW Exit function.
It would be great if you could provide more details, preferred a VI that allows us to see what happens on exit.

Guenter

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,805 Views)

Here is the section of code that is causing the crash.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,793 Views)

Hi Jeff,

so you're fiddling with window settings of windows controlled by LabVIEW?

And now you wonder about unexpected behaviour?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,788 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jeffyy

How do you know that section of code is causing the crash? Did you remove it and it no longer crashed. I mean, I agree that it seems suspect but I just wondered if you'd verified it.

Also, you might want add in some error handling. Add a Simple Error Handler on the end and track errors through you Call Library Function Nodes. At this point, LabVIEW could be throwing an error and you'd never know.

Also, just curious, what's your application here? What kind of DLL's are you calling?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,759 Views)