From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exe com port error

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am writing a program to pick com ports for the main program.  The com ports are actually USB devices and I want them to be able to choose different ports if they happen to change because of the USB.  So I wrote the program to populate a menu ring with the names of available com ports.  Everything works fine as a vi, but when I built it as an exe the property node throws errors.  I am running the exe on the same machine as my vi for testing.

error.png

# -1073807246

Property Node (arg 1) in pick comports.vi.

The property node is : Property:Interface Information:Interface Description

Using this as a VI it puts out names similar to what you would see in the windows device manager.  The false case just puts the words "Not Used".  The input is an array of Visa references for COM1 - COM10.

Any ideas on why it breaks in an EXE?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,659 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author _Bryan

This looks like a VISA session is still open in LabVIEW so your exe can't access it. Try running the exe with LabVIEW closed or see here.

Message 2 of 6
(2,641 Views)

That was the problem, LabVIEW still open in the background.  It would be nice if the search engine would have pulled up that page you linked to.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,618 Views)

@_Bryan wrote:

It would be nice if the search engine would have pulled up that page you linked to.

It does if you don't search in the forums only, but on the NI Website. The website search includes the forums, so it's usually a better place to start, especially if you have an error code/message then it might find some KB articles or similar in addition to forum posts.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,616 Views)

I just went to the NI home page and searched for Error -1073807246 (copied from the page you linked to) and it does not show up.  I tried searching for -1073807246 and it did not show up either, but just searching for 1073807246 seemed to do the trick.  I guess I just searched wrong.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,611 Views)

That's the thing with search engines... a '-' sign means find articles NOT containing the following word. So leave the '-' away when searching for an error code in google or on ni.com.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,608 Views)