LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel works in LabVIEW but not in .exe build

Hello, 

I have seen several posts pointing out the known error in LabVIEW 2011 that prevents excel VIs from running properly in .exe builds when they run properly in LabVIEW. This is not my issue, as I am running LabVIEW 2015 SP1 and the excel formatting works still while I am on the computer I wrote the software on, also using the .exe. 

Does anyone have any idea what would be making it break on a different computer? I'm running office 2010 on both computers and have the newest updates of all things NI on both. Excel will open when I am running it on the smaller computer, but none of the data exports properly (or at all). I am left staring at a blank spreadsheet. 

Exasperated thanks,

Guy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,685 Views)

Oops, forgot to attach my VI again. 

Here it is:

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,683 Views)

Can you show us the project/build specification? Maybe you need to "always include" something.

(Hard to tell, but there was a bug like that in older LabVIEW versions, but I thought it got fixed)

(I also don't understant the point of the sequence structure, but that's a different discussion ;))

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,677 Views)

in previous versions (last time I checked was LV2012) you had to explicitely include the Report Generation Toolkit in your project and add it to build specification (http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372120A-01/lvrgthelp/rgt_stand_alone_apps/)

(4,672 Views)

Yep, I've read all about adding to the build specification. I'm not sure how to show that to you though, can you guide me? I saw lots about that bug in the older version of LabVIEW, but I don't think that's my problem because the .exe works fine on my computer. 

(The sequence structure made more sense in a previous version of this VI. I realize it is superfluous now, but I may revert back in the future and it wasn't hurting anything so I let it be Cat Tongue .)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,666 Views)
Does your new system is installed with LabVIEW software or having only runtime engine.
If you have installed with LabVIEW ( whether problem is only with exe or both with exe as well as code)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,636 Views)

If this is a new install, make sure you open Excel and dismiss any of the License Agreement or activation dialogs.  Probably not your issue but worth a shot.

Guess I should read the entire post since you said Excel opens on the smaller computer.  Dirp. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,601 Views)

The system on which the .exe works has LabVIEW, and the system on which it does not work has only the runtime engine. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,596 Views)

Its better to create a installer instead of executable file and Add Report generation tool kit as a supporting drivers while creating installer.

during installation it will be installed with all the necessary tookits

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,592 Views)

@jeanlucpicard wrote:

in previous versions (last time I checked was LV2012) you had to explicitely include the Report Generation Toolkit in your project and add it to build specification (http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372120A-01/lvrgthelp/rgt_stand_alone_apps/)

B

That is certainly not true in LabVIEW 2014, and I don't believe it was true in LabVIEW 2012.  I have a LabVIEW RT Project that was developed in LabVIEW 2012 and that gets its "instructions" from an Excel Workbook, using the RGT a lot.  I'm away, working on my Laptop, but I did open the LabVIEW 2014 version of the Project and the Build only shows the Top Level VI, nothing in the "Other Files to Include".  If the RGT code is called from VIs that load when the Top Level VI loads, LabVIEW will now include it in the Build.

Bob Schor

P.S. -- we did port this to a second, "lab", machine (the one with all the hardware attached), but also had LabVIEW installed here so we could do debugging/testing.  However, I do recall porting analysis routines to students who did not have LabVIEW, and downloading the LabVIEW Run Time Engine to install on their PCs.  Some of the analysis routines also used the RGT to read the Excel files that are part of the Experiment's data set -- there were no problems, at least with LabVIEW 2012 and 2014.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,577 Views)