LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Examples of IV measurement using Keithley 487 source/picoammeter

Hi, 

I need a simple VI to source a voltage, and measure a current using the Keithley 487 SMU. The only drivers vi's I could find online are pretty old (year ~2000 or so), and don't seem to work (don't even open) in my LabVIEW 2018. Could anyone give a clue on where to find new drivers or a working examples of the IV measurement? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,685 Views)

Hi htesuy,

@htesuy wrote:

The only drivers vi's I could find online are pretty old (year ~2000 or so), and don't seem to work (don't even open) in my LabVIEW 2018. Could anyone give a clue on where to find new drivers or a working examples of the IV measurement?

Where did you find that driver? Mind to provide a link?

(The device is also quite old, regarding it's 3-digit model number…)

Do you now the VersionConversion board?

Did you ask Keithley for new drivers? (Do they even offer support for that old device?)

Did you read the manual? Did you try to write your own device driver? After all it's basically just sending some commands and reading the device responses using VISA…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,633 Views)

Hi GerdW,

I couldn't find the link to the library I found, but I share it here as a zip file. I had no idea I could ask Keithley about this. The instrument is property of my university. Do you have any idea what is the initial step to do this? I'll try to ask to the technician this week if he knows about this support. Also, not sure the conversion board may be of help in this case, but thanks for the suggestion.

I have been reading the manual, but it all looks so different to what I've done up to now with the other drivers and instruments. (SMU2410, LCR 4284A). 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,585 Views)

Hi htesuy,

@htesuy wrote:

I have been reading the manual, but it all looks so different to what I've done up to now with the other drivers and instruments. (SMU2410, LCR 4284A). 

It looks different because it is very old: the LLB was made using LabVIEW6, about 20 years ago…

These old VIs still use the plain GPIB functions: I recommend to rewrite the whole driver using VISA functions as you are used from your other device drivers!

@htesuy wrote:

I had no idea I could ask Keithley about this. The instrument is property of my university. Do you have any idea what is the initial step to do this? I'll try to ask to the technician this week if he knows about this support. Also, not sure the conversion board may be of help in this case, but thanks for the suggestion.

The DAQ device is from Keithley, so this should be the first place to ask for support! (They also have a website!)

The intial step is always to read the manual.

The ConversionBoard is not needed in this case as even LabVIEW2020 is able to open the VIs in this old LV6 LLB…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,579 Views)