From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Example VIs produce random numbers

Hi,
 I am using the 7831R FPGA board. I trying to run one of the example VIs to see if my system is functioning properly. The Vi is the AI-single. It is supposed to monitor one analog input. When I open Labview, I choose the PCI-7831 device as the target. When I run the VI, it asks me to compile it, and it takes a minute and compiles. Then I switch the targets on the device emulator to Labview for Windows as this creates the host VI, is this right? When I run the VI, I get something like a rondom number generator, with values up to tens of thousands. I set the min and maximum values to -4 and 4 , and then the values stay under 120-ish, but still do not make sense. Did I install my hardware/software right? Because when I was installing it there was an error with NI-watchdod 2.1 installation. Is this important? Thanks much, my head hurts.
Gregg
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,312 Views)
Hi Gregg,

The 7831R doesn't use watchdog timers, so the NI-Watchdog install problem shouldn't affect your application.  A re-install of the drivers might take care of it though. 

As for your example, you did all the correct steps leading up to running the example.  After "AI-Single.vi" compiles and downloads to the FPGA, just keep it targetted to the PCI-7831R in order to run it, instead of targetting back to LabVIEW for Windows.  This is actually taking real-world values, so if nothing is connected to your device the signal will be floating.   (Note:  this does not make use of a Host VI)

If you want to use a Host VI architecture, you are correct in that you will have to then change the target back to LabVIEW for Windows.  To better understand this type of application, take a look at the shipping examples "Synchronization - Polling (FPGA)" and "Synchronization - Polling (Host)".  You'll notice that all the Host VI does is call an Open VI Reference (which opens and runs the pre-compiled FPGA application, "Synchronization - Polling (FPGA)" ), and then uses Read/Write Controls to pass data back and forth from the Host to the FPGA.   

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Jeff M.

Applications Engineering
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,277 Views)