From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event case not catching value change EVEN WITH value signalling node

Solved!
Go to solution

Afternoon all,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I've spent a while searching the forums and come up none the wiser.

I understand that programmatically changing a front panel object doesn't generate an event unless you use the Val(Sgnl) property note, but why isn't this picking anything up even with one?

There's no other event structure in use, front panel locking is off, and the new value does go to the front panel object - the event structure just doesn't seem to notice.

What am I missing?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,690 Views)

Nothing immediately sticks out to me when I look at this PICTURE.  If you can post the actual code, we can help more.

I do see a 1 pixel sliver of another loop maybe above the LCD Display Loop.  Is this a hungry loop that is starving out the CPU, preventing the display loop from executing? 

Do you have a loop running in the timeout event that is blocking the event structure?

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,678 Views)

Full program attached - it's a work-in-progress, so forgive its sprawl!

Short answers though, nothing running at full pace, and nothing else in the timeout structure yet.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,674 Views)

What else is happening in your event handling loop? Is it stuck in another case?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,673 Views)

Stupid questions:

1. Are you sure that display loop is running?  Did is stop?  Is it stuck in the timeout case for some reason?

2. Are you sure that property node is actually being called?  I see several conditions that could keep it from being written.

3. Is there another "Output" control on your panel that your Event Structure could be registered to?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,671 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AGriffiths

The myRIO does not have front panels in the RT.  You cannot use the Event Structure or property nodes to do anything.  Use Queues to pass your data between loops.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 9
(3,665 Views)

There's no stupid questions, the number of times I've had an entire project stalled by some tiny error...

The only other thing in the display loop is the timeout case, which just passed the cluster through. Just to be sure, I just went back and added a toggling boolean in there, and I can see it flashing away on the front panel, so it's definitely running.

The actual string being written to the property node IS appearing on the front panel, so that much is working.

No other outputs, although I'll go back and change it to something more unique to be certain. Probably good practice anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,657 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

The myRIO does not have front panels in the RT.  You cannot use the Event Structure or property nodes to do anything.  Use Queues to pass your data between loops.

Huh! Well that's a complication. Thanks, I'll have to do some re-writing.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,652 Views)

Just to back crossrulz correct answer with some facts:

Ingo – LabVIEW 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, NXG 2.0, 2.1, 3.0
CLADMSD
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,546 Views)