LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event Mouse Enter -> Leave. How to make it behave TipStrip alike?

Mouse Cursor on ControlHi everyone,

I have a following problem and hope someone can help me to solve it!

There is an Indicator Chip ID (it looks like a chip). I want to to implement a TipStrip behaviour to this indicator, so, when a mouse cursor enters on its borders, after 5 sec delay a nice TipStrip (which is actually a string controlled by Visible Property Node) appears. For this case I use Mouse Enter and Mouse Leave Events. Although, the problem is that I havent found out how to implement the DELAY, because I would like the indicator to be able to catch other Events like Val Change or Mouse Click.

So far I can only detect Mouse Enter (during this time control stops responding on Mouse Click event). And yes, this is an IndicatorMouse EnterMouse Leave but I would like to use it on Controls as well)

I attach a couple of pics to make clear what I mean. Thanks a lot in advance!

CLD
NI WorldClass 2015
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,537 Views)

Why not use the built-in tip strip support? Just set the tip text string using a property node.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,524 Views)

unfortunately I could not see the image I do not know why?!
but I guess your means is some thing like this 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,521 Views)

Altenbach, I think he wants it to look just like the first image he posted.

Hatef, your example freezes up the UI, which is what he does not want.

If you really want to do the work for this functionality, you will probably need another loop. You can send a message to it to start timing when you enter the control. Send another message when

a) the delay has elapsed, signifying to turn the indicator visible

b) the mouse has left the control, signifying to make the indicator invisible and stop timing

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,507 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

Altenbach, I think he wants it to look just like the first image he posted.

I don't think that the visual is cast in stone. The description just talks about:

".a ... nice TipStrip (which is actually a string controlled by Visible Property Node) appears..."

Which is fully satisfied by my idea. Nearly no code needed. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,498 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,491 Views)

Altenbach,

well, a simple Tip Strip looks way too boring, and the most important thing you can not put an array/image/custom nice control in it))) 

gregorij,

well, thing I got your idea, so I am going to work on it!

Still, any new ideas are welcome!Cat Happy 

CLD
NI WorldClass 2015
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,469 Views)

@DaKo wrote:

well, a simple Tip Strip looks way too boring, and the most important thing you can not put an array/image/custom nice control in it))) 

The advantage of a plain tip strip is the fact that is uses built-in functionality and is in a form immediately familiar to all computer users.

Sometimes boring is good. 😄 If programmers become too creative, the user experience suffers.

If you make you own, the appeareance might be less intuitive, but yes, anything can be done, of course with a little bit of programming.

How are you going to do the rounded outline and drop shadow shown in your image? Is that a requirement? I wasn't aware from your first post that it could contain non-text items.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,456 Views)

I think Altenbach makes some good points. But, if you have your heart set on getting this working, here is what I had in mind. I often wrap the queues inside FGVs to clean up the diagram. This is a snippet, so you can drag it into LabVIEW and it will put code on the block diagram.

Hover Show.png

Message 9 of 13
(3,450 Views)

Well, I do totally agree with you regarding already invented wheel and Tip Strips as well))

Probably, I forgot to mention that they will contain different data types.  I need this functionality not to let a number of ctrls/indicators to increase drammaticly -> so I can combine at least two (or even more!!!) functions in a button. So this "String/Array/custom ctrls" based TipStrips are important for me.

The rounded functionality is not something reallHow else it can look likey special, it is just a String Indicator from "Silver Controls" palette and some transparent and grey colors)) So

CLD
NI WorldClass 2015
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,443 Views)